MIT Developing Planes That Land Like Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
The new suspension necessary to land like a bird would double the planes' weights. Interesting idea, maybe feasible to land a small aircraft in water, but commercially, seems far-fetched.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I wish the best of luck to them as they continue developing the concept, but this looks horribly dangerous!

That video had about as much grace as a paper airplane colliding with an airborne lawnmower. :p

frye

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]I thought that's what flaps were made for.[/citation]

Those let the airplane fly slower without stalling.

jodrummersh

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Ha! When I think of a bird landing, like a Canadian Goose or a duck, seems like they always flop forward and face plant at the end...especially into water.

jodrummersh

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Honestly, what is with all the insane spam on here lately? Aren't there ways to prevent computers from signing up for an account?

skykaptain

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]abcdeasdfasdf[/nom]What's the difference between that and Harrier/JSF?[/citation]

The Harrier/JSF uses thrust to land/take off. This is using the wings itself to land with more control in low speed/high angle of attack.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Just a little FYI, Marcus, but landing an airplane IS a controlled stall. One of the first things you learn in flight school is flying at near stall speeds, and actually letting the aircraft stall so you can see what it feels like. The last part of a landing is the flare, where the pilot applies the elevator and noses up the aircraft to induce a controlled stall, thus disconnecting the wing from the airfoil and allowing the aircraft to touch gently down on the runway.

I can't see being able to replicate a bird's landing since they have more than just an innate ability to fly... they also have a completely different wing motion, and fine motor control which allows them to make numerous, tiny adjustments that (not to mention "thrust vectoring" allowing them to apply nearly instantaneous upward or reverse thrust) allow them to land on phone line, or a thin fence.

jeffk464

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]I thought that's what flaps were made for.[/citation]

Nope, the primary purpose of flaps and slats is to reduce the stall speed, they also help by increasing drag and helping to reduce airspeed.

RichR

Distinguished
May 3, 2004
Can you imagine commercial flight pilots trying this maneuver with drink in hand while checking emails on their laptops?

jodrummersh

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]RichR[/nom]Can you imagine commercial flight pilots trying this maneuver with drink in hand while checking emails on their laptops?[/citation]

Well, allow me to nit-pick. Passengers no longer have drinks in their hands during a landing, and you cannot check email on a plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.