Mitsubishi WD73735 TV projection bulb cracked, after putting in new chip

Rayroshi

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015
Okay, so after experiencing the screen-covered-with-white-dots problem, I followed the instructions found on YouTube for installing a new chip into my WD73735 TV, which seemed pretty straight-forward; however, after reassembling everything and turning it back on, it wouldn't light up at all. I kept getting error code "18". Upon pulling the projection bulb (which is pretty new) out, I found that it was cracked. Any idea what could've caused this? During the whole process, there was never any force/pressure involved in any way, to the projection bulb. I was very slow, methodical, and careful about the whole removal and installation process. The bulb had been working, prior to this, so it's a real mystery.

One other note: After turning the TV back on, I heard a very faint "pulsing" sound coming from within the set; kinda hard to describe, though. I had never heard that sound, before, so I dunno if it is related to the problem or not. It made me think that something might be shorting.

Also, I just realized that the new chip did not have a little thermal conducting pad stuck to it, like the old one had, which means I need to disassemble the whole thing again and transfer that little pad from the old chip to the new one, I guess.

I really don't want to invest the money in a new bulb, if there's a good chance that something within the set in now just going to be blowing out bulbs.

One more question: I would be willing to try putting in one of the cheaper bulbs which I've seen on Amazon, costing about $25, to see if it pops, too, but am really hesitant to spend the amount ($85 + shipping) I see online for the original bulbs. Is that a reasonable idea or are such cheaper bulbs just "knock-off" bulbs, and not worth the investment? What would you do in that case? At this point, after having the TV for ten years and recently spending $200 on a new chip, plus putting in an $85 bulb only a few weeks ago, I'm beginning to think that maybe I should just go buy another TV.

Any helpful thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Rayroshi

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015

Hi. Thanks for your thought, but, no, I didn't touch the bulb. I'm aware of that possibility. And it wouldn't have been possible to have accidentally touch the bulb, because it resides inside of a sealed enclosure, making it out of my grubby fingers' reach.

By the way, as an side note, I just realized that the thermal conducting pad was installed, actually. I now remember that it was still stuck to the heat sink, after removing the heat sink, so it was not a problem. I even checked with a friend who was helping me at the time, and he, too, remembers it being stuck to the heat sink.

Thanks again for your time and trouble.