Mitsubishi's LCD Does 120 Hz Interpolated Full HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
i hope monitors go more in this direction. I am happy to see some advancement and like to see benchmarks on how well this monitor actually does with pc games of today. Skype calls might look amazing with webcam usb 3.0

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
This would have been cool maybe 2 years ago. With 3D becoming the next big thing and non-interpolated 120Hz monitors already on the market, I have to ask: What's the point?

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Forgive my lack of knowledge but I must ask this question.

Are the terms interpolation and interlacing synonymous with each other?

If so I hope not. Because CRTs evolved from interlaced monitors to non-interlaced monitors.

So if they're trying to use "interpolation" as a "marketing ploy" then expect "non-interpolation" on their next batch of models. Thus = fail.

If the two terms are not synonymous ignore my post.

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Strider-Hiryu_79[/nom]Forgive my lack of knowledge but I must ask this question.Are the terms interpolation and interlacing synonymous with each other? If so I hope not. Because CRTs evolved from interlaced monitors to non-interlaced monitors.So if they're trying to use "interpolation" as a "marketing ploy" then expect "non-interpolation" on their next batch of models. Thus = fail.If the two terms are not synonymous ignore my post.[/citation]
Defiantly not the same thing. "Interpolation is a method of constructing new data points within the range of a discrete set of known data points" In other words the screen can take 60 HZ images and add the extra frames to make it smoother at 120 fps. Since its done in the screen, it adds no load to your system. If done right, it can look extremely smooth.

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Defiantly not the same thing. "Interpolation is a method of constructing new data points within the range of a discrete set of known data points" In other words the screen can take 60 HZ images and add the extra frames to make it smoother at 120 fps. Since its done in the screen, it adds no load to your system. If done right, it can look extremely smooth.[/citation]

Ah so it's the same as the "120hz" and "240hz" marketing terms they introduced in HDTVs to make video animations(transition between frames)have more fluidity. Motionflow is a good example.

If that's the case interpolation is nothing new; Mitsubishi is trying to sound fancy then.

[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]yeah, replace 120 fps with 120 Hz, but in this case it should be the same. 120 image refresh/sec. Had fps on the brain there.[/citation]

well 1hz always equalled 1fps pretty much.

I'm surpised the majority of LCD computer monitors available today are still capped at 75hz. They should just release 240hz monitors already.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]popatim[/nom]I really dont understand the hype around this... 120hz @ 1080i...Who cares.interpolated for the big L.Acer's GD235HZbid does 120hz at 1080P and so does my 47" samsung tv[/citation]

Please note: 1080i = 1,080 lines of resolution display in an "Interlaced" (Odd / Even Raster Lines) display. This is NOT the same as Interpolation, which is the method of using existing video feed to fill in blank lines.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Easiest way to explain interpolation is:

Regular mode 60 Hz -> Frame A, Frame B, Frame C
Interpolated 120 HZ -> Frame A, Frame A+B, Frame B, Frame B+C, Frame C.

It basically sticks an extra frame based on the previous and the upcoming frame, any major difference (fast moving objects) are calculated and interpolated into the newly created frame, creating a more fluid motion.

You're still getting the source 1080p resolution, but now with an intermediate frame added in-between each original frame.

My personal preference is to have interpolation off as I think it makes the scene look too fluid, almost unrealistic, but its really personal preference.

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
real 120hz monitors has already hit the market in lcd tvs? why begin to use this shitty technology in monitors? it just ads another frame lag or more, since it invents those extra 60hz from an only existing 60fps source, why would you do that? other than confuse the consumers even more, and tricking them to buy new tech that's in fact worse.

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
[citation][nom]doped[/nom]real 120hz monitors has already hit the market in lcd tvs? why begin to use this shitty technology in monitors? it just ads another frame lag or more, since it invents those extra 60hz from an only existing 60fps source, why would you do that? other than confuse the consumers even more, and tricking them to buy new tech that's in fact worse.[/citation]
real 120hz in monitors, and "fake" 120hz in lcd tvs, was what i meant, sorry.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009

I am literally gob smacked... TVs have been doing this for 3 years now!! how has it taken so long for a monitor to do it!!?

this is good for gamers that have graphics cards only powerful enough to run their games at 60fps, but what about people with cards that can run at 120fps? will they allow native 120hz signal? I can't see any reason why they wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.