Miyamoto: Violence Narrow Industry's Potential

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Not to long ago, wacky games used to be the norm ( I mean look at some of the games in the PS1 library..). However, every company now wants to be uber realistic and shooting now, which is a taint on the industry right now

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Portal is the best example I can think of a non violent FPS game. And judging from the clues Valve left, Portal 2 will innovate even further on the puzzle/platform/FPS mash up.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Portal is the best example I can think of a non violent FPS game. And judging from the clues Valve left, Portal 2 will innovate even further on the puzzle/platform/FPS mash up.[/citation]
It's was rather morbid for something "non-violent". I wouldn't say it was non-violent, just most of the violence was perpetuated at the player, so it wasn't rewarded.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]It's was rather morbid for something "non-violent". I wouldn't say it was non-violent, just most of the violence was perpetuated at the player, so it wasn't rewarded.[/citation]

If that's the case Mario is violent because you can fall to a bottomless pit while killing turtles and mutant mushrooms.

I think Miyamoto was referring to the "run and gun" game archetype.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]If that's the case Mario is violent because you can fall to a bottomless pit while killing turtles and mutant mushrooms.[/citation]
I think being violently shot to death by robotic turrets, or gased with deadly neurotoxin by an insanely malfunctioning AI take a certain morbid reality to the violence that trumps the LSD trip that most Mario games are.

fjjb

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
the thing about people playing this violent is because there hadnt been any 1st party games from nintendo for a while so... why not?

m-manla

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
He just mad because the Wii isn't getting attention anymore. Heck, cartoons have violence in them. To me, games don't promote violence. That has to do with the aggressor. Most serial killers are busy killing and running. Very few plays games in my personal opinion.

socrates047

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
off-course he is going to say that, nintendo has been milking mario, zelda, and alike for years. just a thought would wan't to die from a bullet (ie: every decent FPS)or from a flaming fire ball hurled at your face (ie: Mario)

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Nintendo..

It was great a decade ago. Now, Mario/Pokemon/Zelda/whatever are just rehash of old ones with prettier graphics.

Also don't forget the ever-ballooning name. World, Galaxy, Universe, etc.

neoverdugo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
That's complete BS!! I said earlier on a previous post that all the nintendo kiddies from the past 15 or 16 years [like myself] have grown up and we all have new gaming tastes. The whole Mario/Pokemon/Zelda/whatever franchise are aimed manly at the kids and once in a while grown-up who wants to relive it's gaming past. If Shigeru Miyamoto wants to make "innocent games" for the kids and the rest of the family go ahead; but let other gaming companies offer games for a much older and "mature" audience to be played on the wii cuz right now i don't have the cash for a PS3 or XBox 360 which i could only use on mature-oriented games like Dante's Inferno. And I'm also pissed that RE5 is not on Wii while the PC, Xbox 360 and Ps3 has it. Bottom line: Shigeru Miyamoto doesn't want Nintendo to compete with Sony or Microsoft on the graphic side and mature audience side of the gaming industry and isolate the wii for the "Rated E for Everyone" category console. Which it ain't fair!!!!

m-manla

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]neoverdugo[/nom]That's complete BS!! I said earlier on a previous post that all the nintendo kiddies from the past 15 or 16 years [like myself] have grown up and we all have new gaming tastes. The whole Mario/Pokemon/Zelda/whatever franchise are aimed manly at the kids and once in a while grown-up who wants to relive it's gaming past. If Shigeru Miyamoto wants to make "innocent games" for the kids and the rest of the family go ahead; but let other gaming companies offer games for a much older and "mature" audience to be played on the wii cuz right now i don't have the cash for a PS3 or XBox 360 which i could only use on mature-oriented games like Dante's Inferno. And I'm also pissed that RE5 is not on Wii while the PC, Xbox 360 and Ps3 has it. Bottom line: Shigeru Miyamoto doesn't want Nintendo to compete with Sony or Microsoft on the graphic side and mature audience side of the gaming industry and isolate the wii for the "Rated E for Everyone" category console. Which it ain't fair!!!![/citation]

PREACH!

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]I think being violently shot to death by robotic turrets, or gased with deadly neurotoxin by an insanely malfunctioning AI take a certain morbid reality to the violence that trumps the LSD trip that most Mario games are.[/citation]

The entire point of the violence in Portal was to use satire and a wicked sense of humor. Not to be taken seriously, instead of the Mario world.

Obliterating goombas to save the princess is serious business. srsly

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/16551/original/1181595555.gif

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Well, thats great, cuz I have no clue what he is talking about. WTF is this article about? Blah, Blah, Blah.... Whatever...
Is teabagging violent? Miyamoto needs a good teabagging.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Socrates047[/nom]off-course he is going to say that, nintendo has been milking mario, zelda, and alike for years. just a thought would wan't to die from a bullet (ie: every decent FPS)or from a flaming fire ball hurled at your face (ie: Mario)[/citation]
Nintendo also has other franchises that don't rely on game violence, like Harvest Moon, Brain Age, and the gimmicky "Wii ______" games. He's not saying game makers should avoid violent games, just that there should be more diversity in play experiences. Nothing wrong with calls for innovation and non-traditional designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.