Mkv playback choppy

jflachs

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Hey guys, I'm wondering why I can't get 1080p mkv files to play on my computer without choppiness. At first it was very bad but I've been able to minimize it by using the latest version of CoreAVC in conjunction with Media Player Classic. During busy scenes however, there is still noticeable choppiness.

I don't think this is a hardware problem, my computer's specs are as follows:

Windows XP
Asus P5B
Core 2 Quad 2.83GHz @ 3.4GHz (8.5x400MHz)
4GB DDR2 800
Geforce 8800GT 512MB (Forceware 182.08)
WD Velociraptor

This PC should be able to playback 1080p video easily, so why the choppiness in busy scenes? I've tried closing all my background tasks, disabling my second monitor, and using ffdshow instead of CoreAVC. My CPU usage never even goes above 5%.

I've never seen a movie from a Blu ray disc but I assume it doesn't playback choppy on a PS3 or a regular Blu ray player. Does this have something to do with the mkv container? I've played 1080p avi files before and don't seem to remember them being choppy. Any ideas?

G

try the coreAVC codec.It seems that it is the most optimized codec for playing 1080p mkv videos. once the codec is installed, the video can be played thru windows media player among others except VLC player where it uses its own decoding solution.

Once u installed the codec, tick the option where it displays in the taskbar to make sure the player is using the codec. Hope it helps.

BlackMachina.