Mobile Carriers May Charge Per Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Snipergod87[/nom]I imagine this would not go over well if they imposed this kind of restriction.[/citation]

Never underestimate the stupidity of the public. Years ago you would think that people getting charged to buy virtual guns (and other such items) in games wouldn't go over well...and yet it did.

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Here's my problem with Verizon (my phone company) ... they want to charge us two ways. First they charge you XXX for 5 GB of monthly data. Now to me this seems relatively fair, but then in order to tether your phone to a laptop they'll charge you another $20. Now in all fairness you do get 2 extra GB of download, but what the crap? If I'm paying for 5 GB of month I should be able to do with it as I please. If I want to browse over to Facebook and just hit the refresh button 18,762,095 times then I should be allowed to do that right up to my bandwidth cap. What I do with my bandwidth is MY business. Not theirs.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
How are they going to check this ? I guess I'll just vpn my phone to my home PC then, or make it a sort of a live stream, like you open just 1 page on the phone's browser, and in this page you can stream other pages, again a proxy/vpn of some sort.

This will just cripple the use of mobile internet.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]bill gates is your daddy[/nom]This is what Net Neutrality will get you[/citation]
The point is that wireless carriers are NOT covered under the net neutrality rule. If they were, then they couldn't do this.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]rodney_ws[/nom]Here's my problem with Verizon (my phone company) ... they want to charge us two ways. First they charge you XXX for 5 GB of monthly data. Now to me this seems relatively fair, but then in order to tether your phone to a laptop they'll charge you another $20. Now in all fairness you do get 2 extra GB of download, but what the crap? If I'm paying for 5 GB of month I should be able to do with it as I please. If I want to browse over to Facebook and just hit the refresh button 18,762,095 times then I should be allowed to do that right up to my bandwidth cap. What I do with my bandwidth is MY business. Not theirs.[/citation]
True, its bad enough some companies sell you an "unlimited" plan and then cut you off when you hit their hidden limit, but to already sell someone 5GB, and then tell them it costs extra to access that 5GB, through your phone, with another device is absurd. Imagine buying a gallon of milk, but paying an extra 50-cent surcharge because you planned to drink it out of a glass instead of straight from the carton, and they didn't even provide the glass. No, we wouldn't stand for it, not one bit.

As for this monitoring system, maybe it won't fly under the new FCC rules, but those rules only apply to we Americans. People in other countries are surely screwed, especially in countries like Australia and France where they've already ruled that ISPs are responsible for the content they deliver, and thus have to filter out what the government doesn't like (mostly copyright violations, but who knows what in the future). This software is surely promoted under the guise of conforming to copyright and other law, but in the end will also be used to pry extra money from unsuspecting consumers.

levin70

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Simple solution, that does not require government intervention. Either (1) go to another carrier - ie vote with your feet or (2) find 30 or 40 billion and build your own wireless network.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take everything you have.

Regards

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
well, glad I just signed an unlimited plan for the next two years. If this goes down this way, I will never get another smartphone. Not interested in getting price gouged.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
The version of Net Neutrality that the FCC passed was the fake one. It only applies to normal internet (Cable, FIOS, DSL, Dial-Up, etc) it does not apply to wireless/mobile internet. Unfortunately the mobile carriers are free to abuse us however they want to (at least until they pass REAL Net Neutrality

Status
Not open for further replies.