Mobile Devices with Multi-Core Processors by 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

neodude007

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Make batteries that last 5 times longer and you can do whatever you want to my smartphone. Battery 1st, CPU power later imo.... unless they are sooo efficient they don't use moar power.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
The company also said that the ARM architecture will see a higher growth rate over the more common x86 architecture.
That's a "duh" point to make. The x86 architecture is only in netbooks and devices that aren't considered a "mobile device". ARM already "dominates" x86 in this market!

I like the prediction of multiple cores. We can only hope they double battery life before they actually make it to market.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]tgoods44[/nom]doesnt the zune use that multicore nvidia processor?[/citation]

It uses the tegra but that's like calling any graphics card multi-core.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
The thing is, will programmers use the extra Cores? If the availability of multithreaded apps in x86-64 CPUs then I'm assuming we won't get many multithreaded apps for ARM.....

Mulder19

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]The thing is, will programmers use the extra Cores? If the availability of multithreaded apps in x86-64 CPUs then I'm assuming we won't get many multithreaded apps for ARM.....[/citation]

Well, I imagine it is more for multi-tasking than multi-threading. Cell-phone apps don't require more than a single core, but for playing music, surfing and texting it could be beneficial.

G

If MS is continuing to push heavier OSes, then yes.
If we're allowed to have a DX10, SSD trim compatible Win98 40bit version, then perhaps a single core will do just fine!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I noticed Warcraft 3 (that 7 year old stragety game) had about 120 threads. Crysis Warhead had 20 some threads...
Ummm, what the hell?

I'll all for multi threading. Would be awesome however if we found a way to efficiently split a single thread into dozens (or hundreds).
To double the frequency, you'll take 4x or more the power. To double the cores, you could use less than 2x the power and still gain the same performance benefit (in a proper enviroment), just at the cost of more silicon (meaning more expensive, but better battery).

They're coming out with a 1GHz phone... why is it my 333MHz PSPgo only gets 3 hours of gameplay on a battery?

wbedwards

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Mulder19[/nom]Well, I imagine it is more for multi-tasking than multi-threading. Cell-phone apps don't require more than a single core, but for playing music, surfing and texting it could be beneficial.[/citation]
Definitely agree, just like the desktop market, except for a very few resource intensive apps, the biggest advantage to multicoredness is multitasking. Furthermore, with smartphones becoming more and more subject to worms and other forms of malware, multicore processors (again like desktop counterparts) are going to help usher in either third party security suites, or integrated security processes, either of which will require resources to run.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]They're coming out with a 1GHz phone... why is it my 333MHz PSPgo only gets 3 hours of gameplay on a battery?[/citation]

The 1ghz phone is already out- it's the droid running the snapdragon processor. The SE xperia X10 is also running is, as are few other phones coming out in 2010

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]tgoods44[/nom]doesnt the zune use that multicore nvidia processor?[/citation]
yep, 8 cores of crysis PWNAGE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.