Mobile Firefox Rolls Out This Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
I would love to see a multi-touch alternitive to Dolphin on the DROID. Hopefully this will fill that role.

Of course i would be just as happy to get the milestone browser on the now rooted DROID :)

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
The words "high-end smartphone" and "iPhone" should never be used in the same sentence.

Unless of course you're using a "not" in there somewhere :D :D

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Zoonie[/nom]The words "high-end smartphone" and "iPhone" should never be used in the same sentence.Unless of course you're using a "not" in there somewhere[/citation]

If it's not high-end, then how come all the other cell phone companies are beating it with a 2x4 on TV advertisements in hopes of accelerating their own sales?

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]If it's not high-end, then how come all the other cell phone companies are beating it with a 2x4 on TV advertisements in hopes of accelerating their own sales?[/citation]

crap is easy to squish.. but they are more bashing the carrior of the iphone not the phone its self.. and unless your a total idiot you know that popularity doesnt mean the product is any good it just means people like in most cases to buy crap that looks like its good and then make up reasons in thier head why they didnt waste thier money.. and thats how you get the I success imo since everyone else has really done everything apple has done but they did it first and in alot of cases better and not nearly as ugly, did i mention that the none apple alternatives arent telling you what you can put on it? or locked into a single source for media that they control.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]crap is easy to squish.. but they are more bashing the carrior of the iphone not the phone its self.. and unless your a total idiot you know that popularity doesnt mean the product is any good it just means people like in most cases to buy crap that looks like its good and then make up reasons in thier head why they didnt waste thier money.. and thats how you get the I success imo since everyone else has really done everything apple has done but they did it first and in alot of cases better and not nearly as ugly, did i mention that the none apple alternatives arent telling you what you can put on it? or locked into a single source for media that they control.[/citation]

Had a hard time reading your post, but i think i understand what you're saying.

I do agree that probably 70% of the people out there just have an iPhone for the name. I, myself, have been a Windows power user (i hate Apple) for over 15 years now and i think that the iPhone is ROCK solid. Yes, i do have one. I have also tried the Google G1 featuring the Android OS, and i have tried several Blackberries.

They all have their ups and downs, but when it comes down to it, a phone is supposed to be RELIABLE and it's supposed to work when you need it in an emergency. I did not find these comforts with the G1, and i was always iffy about my Blackberries.

My main gripe about the Blackberry lineup is the OS itself. When the phone runs out of memory, it starts deleting texts and other messages without question. That could potentially be some SERIOUS shit! Alot of people live off of texts and cannot afford to lose them forever.

My Blackberry experience was from a year ago, and hopefully the new BB OS's have solved this issue.

One major plus for the iPhone in my book is the fact that it does NOT lag. I have never owned one other than the 3g-s, so i cannot speak for the older models. All i know is that this phone is fast, and it doesn't lag. It was a pain in the ass having to deal with load times while trying to type in a phone number on my old BB and G1.

Most people give the iPhone OS shit because you can't run more than 1 app at a time, but it's for reliability. I've fooled around with the Droid a few times, and it's pretty quick, but not for long. Once you start messing with programs and using it's features, it slowly but surely starts to lag.

Anyways, i'm not an Apple rep and i'm not trying to persuade anybody. All i'm saying is the new 3g-s is no pushover by ANY means. Please do some research before you start bashing shit. Most people buy the iPhone for the name, and most people who bash the iPhone have never even held one with their own hands.

G

I'm still running an iPhone 2G and it's still a fast/reliable phone. I wouldn't be saying this however if it weren't for the wonderful jailbreaking community that supports the device. There is a program to counter-act almost every downfall of the iPhone. For example, backgrounder + kirikae = perfectly seamless multi tasking and the phone handles several apps simultaniously without any lag (1st gen). Dunno how this post got tuned into an iPhone bashing post but this is just my 2 cents (ps. I'm not an apple fan boi, I hate osx, but love the iPhone)

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I was under the impression that the iphone did have "high end" hardware when compared with other smart phones? Which phones are more powerful? I'm not being sarcastic, I just really don't know and am curious.

I'm not anything close to an apple fanboy, but i did recently purchase an ipod 3g.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
It amazes me that it's taking so long for a browser juggernaut like Mozilla to release a mobile web browser, when start-ups like Skyfire Labs have been producing a rock-solid browser for months (years?).

http://www.skyfire.com/

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]I was under the impression that the iphone did have "high end" hardware when compared with other smart phones? Which phones are more powerful? I'm not being sarcastic, I just really don't know and am curious.I'm not anything close to an apple fanboy, but i did recently purchase an ipod 3g.[/citation]

Credit where credit is due, the iPhone does have good hardware. What bugs me is that people keep comparing it to smartphones. How is it a smartphone when it took 3 iterations of their OS to make it copy/paste?

Those with real smartphones that truly know how to use them to the fullest know that there is alot more to be had than the iPhone is offering. But a smartphone addict always feels his phone is missing something, and as an owner of a X1, which is still one of the best phones out there, I still feel that we are far away from reaching the point of perfection. Maybe in 5-6 years.

Anyway, the iPhone is a pretty cool multimedia phone, but far from a smartphone. And that's my opinion. :)

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Zoonie[/nom]Credit where credit is due, the iPhone does have good hardware. What bugs me is that people keep comparing it to smartphones. How is it a smartphone when it took 3 iterations of their OS to make it copy/paste?Those with real smartphones that truly know how to use them to the fullest know that there is alot more to be had than the iPhone is offering. But a smartphone addict always feels his phone is missing something, and as an owner of a X1, which is still one of the best phones out there, I still feel that we are far away from reaching the point of perfection. Maybe in 5-6 years.Anyway, the iPhone is a pretty cool multimedia phone, but far from a smartphone. And that's my opinion.[/citation]

I understand what you are saying. I had thought you meant it didn't have good hardware compared to other smart phones.

I also agree with you on the whole "smartphone" deal. the iphone is definitely more of a multimedia device than a smartphone. But at the same time, I personally prefer the multimedia functions to the smart functions. But I guess that's all personal preference.

G

""high-end" smartphones like the iPhone, Motorola Droid, Palm Pre, and RIM's Blackberry devices"

What, my Nokia isn't good enough? plus Apple basically said over its dead body to Opera designing an iPhone browser.

I expect better news from tomsguide, pick it up ed.

androticus

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
OMG I almost get eye cramps from the eye-rolling I have to endure when I read the childish and baseless attacks on iPhone -- I have one and I love it -- it is super easy to use (unlike so much other complex stuff that can be almost impossible to figure out, like most cameras, new audio-video equipment, etc.) There are tons of useful apps for it, and I typically find a new one I like and use every week or so. Nothing has been so useful to me, and yes, it is a great phone too. A lot of the things charged as minuses are irrelevant, especially multi-tasking -- it multi-tasks all the important stuff just fine, and for crikees sake it is a tiny phone that I only need to use for limited periods for a focused task, I don't need to run 10 apps at once (for what???). Sure it has aspects I think are not stellar, like the camera is admittedly not great and doesn't have a flash, but that isn't even a main feature for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.