Mobo or cpu gone?

djcoleyb

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
hi guys.
i have been building computers for years and the other day i was inside a laptop witht the mobo exposed repairing it when i dropped my screwdriver and it fell on the keyboard connection pins (i think) and it must of crossed because a spark flew out and it cut out.

it didnt smell like anything blew,
cant see any viisual damage.

so im in a dilema.
i now dont know if its the mobo or cpu.

any advice?

Pyree

Distinguished
So forgot to remove battery and let static drain from the circuit before working could happen to experienced desktop builders. Well, perhaps I should stop encouraging people to open the inside of their laptop. It can be any number of thing but I think the most likely is the battery protection circuit.

djcoleyb

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

well i had it plugged in and running as i was testing something and i stood up and the screw driver fell onto the board. its not that i dont know what im doing it was just an accident

bachok83

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
I would bet on the board too.

Logically, the board+cpu design is meant that they should stay separate, in case anything happen.. stuff like this, electro-static-discharge, etc.

Unless you see a dark spots on the CPU pins/package itself, it is unlikely to be CPU.

I once (gimme a break, i was a kid once :) ) pulled out pci-bus modem while desktop machine is running.. Yes, it was running, and i shorted isa-bus sound card. The sound card's chip exploded with a big hole in the middle of it.

But the rest of the parts worked fine still after that.

TRENDING THREADS