Monitor and headphones audio transition problem.

CrazyMav

Estimable
Oct 4, 2014
I'm having trouble figuring this out, I have done this before but I can't figure it out now.

I have my monitor connected to my graphics card through hdmi and I have my headphones connected to my motherboard. If I unplug the jack of my headphones, there is no audio coming out from the monitor.. I want it to be able to play audio in the transition from headphones to monitor.

Currently what I have to do is make the monitor the default device so it can play audio and then change that when I want to switch.

The other confusing part is that one of the devices is Realtek Digital Output and the other for Speakers, I had sound coming out of the Realtek device (headphones) initially but now there is sound coming out the Speaker device as the "new" headphones output. But, in the window there is "audio" feedback on the Realtek device through the green bar animation when there is sound coming out, though no actual sound when I set that as default.

(Might be confusing the way I worded this all)

Solution
the correct way is to have your monitor audio set to the default audio device. if you plug in headphones using the front jack it will auto-swap to headphones in windows and headphones will be the default audio device until you unplug.
the correct way is to have your monitor audio set to the default audio device. if you plug in headphones using the front jack it will auto-swap to headphones in windows and headphones will be the default audio device until you unplug.

Solution