Monitor Driver Needed

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I just purchased through Costco the following laptop:

Acer Aspire 6935-6194
Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit
Intel Core 2 T6400
Intel 4500MHD Graphics (I know, but it's not for gaming)
1366 X 768 16" Monitor
4GB DDR3 1066Mhz RAM

Anyhow, long story short. Acer's website says the laptop should be 1920 x 1080 resolution. I've contacted their Tech Support, and they've confirmed based on my model # and serial # that it should be 1920 x 1080 resolution.

However, Windows will only allow me to set the resolution up to 1366 x 768.

They recommended I uninstall the Monitor driver through Device Manager, download their latest driver, and install. So I uninstalled, rebooted, downloaded and tried to install. The install wouldn't work, claiming I didn't meet minimum system requirements.

So I went to Intel's site and downloaded and installed the latest version of their 4500MHD (GM45) drivers. Rebooted, and still only goes to 1366 x 768.

Now, I've determined in Device Manager that Windows keeps installing a generic Microsoft driver for "Generic PnP Monitor". I've tried having windows search online for updates, but it keeps installing the same generic driver from 2006.

Anyone else have any ideas as to where I can get an updated monitor driver?

The other possibility could be that Acer is wrong about their own specs. I got the laptop from Costco, and they displayed the monitor resolution as being 1366 x 768 I'm pretty sure. Acer insists it's 1920 x 1080 though. Still waiting to hear back from them again.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Okay, in case anyone is interested.

After a couple days of contact with Acer's Online Tech Support (and 8+ emails, driver re-installs, and eRecovery (format and return to factory default) they finally sent me to their 1-800 folks. Those folks put me on hold for about 30 minutes before a "Level 2" tech finally explained to me that:

Acer sells more than one version of the Acer Aspire 6935 (under the same model number) to different retailers. They refused to tell me which retailers sell which models. And, it would appear that perhaps retailers are prohibited from listing this particular model online. Acer's website says that Costco, Walmart, Radio Shack, and Office Depot sell this model.

None of their websites list this particular model. However, walking into my local Costco, I find the Acer Aspire 6935 prominently displayed at $649.

And officially, even though the http://us.acer.com website specifically says the Aspire 6935 has 1920 x 1080 HD resolution, is does NOT. Supposedly they sell a version that does, but every version I've found so far is 1366 x 768.

I'd be curious though to see what the 1920 x 1080 version of this laptop sells for compared to mine.

I've seen people mention an Aspire 6935 which supposedly has an nVidia based 9500GT graphics card, and a faster processor, however I cannot find such for sale online. However, Acer's tech support site allows you to download Intel, ATI, and nVidia VGA drivers for this model. So apparently there are at least 3 variations of this single laptop model.