Monitor Employees via WebCam

Status
Not open for further replies.

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Hello,
I'm contemplating installing software to monitor employee activity...mainly 3rd shift. I've viewed some applications, but was curious if anyone here has a preference or experience in this area. Here are my main needs:

Must be discreet. I want to ensure there's no Add/Remove Program listed. No icon appearing in the system tray when activated.

I don't want a resource hog affecting the PC or bandwidth.

Can monitor or access data remotely, as well as store specified data indefinitely.

Must not turn on the built in cam LED light. This is where I'm not finding any answers. If the built in LED comes on, as it normally does when the cam is in use, it would defeat the whole purpose of monitoring.

Decent app support.

I'm looking at 9 machines right now. I obviously don't want to pay an arm and a leg. Any info, or useful feedback is much appreciated.

Hawkeye22

Distinguished

This is where you will have a problem. Unless you can update the firmware in the camera, the activity LED is designed to come on when in use.

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
I'm not doing anything illegal. As long as my staff knows they can "potentially" be monitored and it is a documented policy, I'm covered. It's only illegal to do it in a bathroom, changing room, or at home. I just need to inform them there has been an important update to the employee handbook. None of them will take the initiative to view the update and all will be well.

Overhead cameras would not work in my work space. It is a cubicle environment with plenty of blind spots.

Damn firmware. Actually, firmware might be readily available as many companies are using this approach these days.

As long as they know it's OK, but doing it through webcam when they don't know it's on, bit shady. If it was me working there I'd contact the ACLU to check this plan out. If you want to monitor them, get a keylogger not a video camera, unless you think they are stealing.

I don't know ANY company that spies on the employees though computer webcams, where did you see that? Usually that's done by hackers who want to catch women changing.

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Well we use All-in -One devices and not peripheral webcams...basically same as laptop designs. I'll need to research.

The problem I have is I believe people to be sleeping. What you call spying, I call accountability. It may seem shady, but if people are doing what needs to be done there shouldn't be a concern/issue. Short of termination, I've exhausted my other resources.

Old, but relevant:
http://www.abramslaw.com/CM/Articles/Tracking-Employees-Using-Technology.pdf
http://technology.inc.com/2008/03/01/smile-youre-on-the-company-webcam/

http://www.oleansoft.com/hiddencamera.htm

That last one is not a video capture, it does capture screens and logs other PC activity which is acceptable with no grey areas.

And the other link: "But they need to use more caution and create policies if using webcams to monitor employees. " Which is what I pointed out.

Using webcams is one thing, we use them for video conferences at times, using them to view who is sitting at the desk and what they are doing is another. Sleeping is not too hard to figure out, do they have things to do on the computer/phone? Is it pretty much regular schedule? Setup a key logger, if they don't type anything for an hour and they should, seems like something is up. And don't you have shift supervisors or something to manage them? Unless they are the ones doing the sleeping hehe.

Ijack

Distinguished
If the only way that you can tell if your staff are doing their job is to covertly spy on them then you certainly have problems. But they are not technological problems, they are management problems.

Can't you think of any way to measure their output? Your plans are reprehensible IMO. If you implement them I hope that your staff find out and take legal action against you. It could cost you dearly.

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

I just used that program as an example. It does say "After this, you will be able to control all the computer screens and office through webcams in real time and off-line modes.", but perhaps I am reading that wrong.

This is a phone support position and nights are very slow...maybe 2-3 calls during an 8 hour shift. I am the office manager. I do have a shift supervisor, but I believe he is the #1 culprit. Sadly, I am required to work first shift due to client needs. I do pop in at night from time to time, but until I get in the door, I can't really catch them in the act. Hmmmm...I'll need to continue my search tomorrow. It is about 1500 here. I have Jack/Coke and SWTOR calling me.

Thanks for your input. I will surly take it under advisement:)

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

I disagree. I effectively manage 53 people, 5 of which are 3rd shift. It's certainly not a management issue, it's a work ethic and integrity issue on their end.

I'm not finding anything stating it is illegal as long as they are notified and it's not in a bathroom/locker room, or anywhere else someone could undress.

Like I said initially, I'm looking this as an option. I just really researching today, so I have a lot of work to do. I'm just gather folks input along the way.

That's really slow, not easy at all to catch work flow issues. But with that slow of a shift maybe there are too many people on then if they have lots of time to sleep or whatever? I was a lead for an odd shift for a 24 hr project group at CVS where we not only had to manage our team but also remote teams at the stores all over the country, there were just enough people where it was almost always work to be done, and sometimes we had to have some remote techs call back or be on hold for a bit. Maybe check over the needs for this shift.

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

I hear ya. It's a skeleton shift as not all 5 work every night. The problem is we are contracted to have 5 people that shift, so reducing staff isn't really an option even though it'd save the client money.

Unfortunately I can't really go into all of the details involved as this is an open forum. Perhaps terminations are in order. It's a shame that even in today's economic climate, people still take their job lightly. While complacency plays a large role, laziness is the primary problem.

tracykrakauer

Honorable
May 8, 2012
why don't u try a simple webcamera software that lets you convert your webcam into a surveillance camera? I suggest you try GotoCamera. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg and works pretty well. http://gotocamera.com/

webranger14

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

That will still initiate a light on the webcam when it's running.

simlpleadvice

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
The solution is so simple. Tell them they are being monitored by a webcam. I think not telling them is somewhat illegal. Even so, telling them will solve the issue. Once they know they are being monitored, they will start working. What's the point of catching them in the act? unless you're trying to get proof to fire them.

Mike roger

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

Mike roger

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
I would recommend deploying on premise desktop monitoring appliance such as RHUB appliances. It provides employee monitoring feature in which you can remotely monitor the PC from anywhere while the computer users cannot see and delete the remote session.

webranger14

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

Gotocamera went out of business. They are shutting down. I switched to Camcloud and like it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.