Monitor Employees via WebCam

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Hello,
I'm contemplating installing software to monitor employee activity...mainly 3rd shift. I've viewed some applications, but was curious if anyone here has a preference or experience in this area. Here are my main needs:

Must be discreet. I want to ensure there's no Add/Remove Program listed. No icon appearing in the system tray when activated.

I don't want a resource hog affecting the PC or bandwidth.

Can monitor or access data remotely, as well as store specified data indefinitely.

Must not turn on the built in cam LED light. This is where I'm not finding any answers. If the built in LED comes on, as it normally does when the cam is in use, it would defeat the whole purpose of monitoring.

Decent app support.

I'm looking at 9 machines right now. I obviously don't want to pay an arm and a leg. Any info, or useful feedback is much appreciated.

RuslanSudentas

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013

You may be covered from a legal standpoint, but I guarantee your employees would hate you and the work. You can achieve the similar result + keep employees happy if you use something like ResqueTime or ScreenshotMonitor where employees can start and stop monitoring themselves and you can see their monitor screenshots on the web.

gregmeck

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013

Yeah, but if they are sleeping anyway, the light won't matter!

Sep 26, 2013
What you are saying is that you want to deceive your employees into thinking they are not being monitored, and you are saying that is not illegal because you also made then aware they are being monitored. That makes no sense. You need to act within the spirit of the law. This post you made makes this illegal because it shows your trying to deceive them. You can't have it both ways. You need to contact a lawyer.

EdwardPete

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013

I stand by this line.
Mike, if female staff sometime just scratch their breast, back side to other colleagues and facing their pc which means facing you? :)

teddymines

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Why not just show up unannounced? You don't have to do it every night, just a few times to leave the impression that visits may happen at any time.

As others have recommended, a basic security camera + DVR will allow you to monitor them and use the footage as evidence if they decide to sue you or your company. These run a couple hundred for a decent basic set.

Status
Not open for further replies.