Month old laptop hard drive used to be silent, now whirs audibly.

every22

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015
Exactly like the title says. I just got a Dell Inspiron laptop. When I first opened it and for about a week, the machine was absolutely silent with hardly any noise except at night when everything else was quiet too. Now, two weeks later, I can hear it at any given time. It's not a loud noise (and not the fan either; it's the drive disc spinning and whirring) by any means and acts as quiet white noise across the room but its noticeable.

Is this just a thing that happens to HDD? Is it normal from daily use even after a short time? I'm going to upgrade to an SSD when I get the money to anyway.

Maybe you were babysitting it when it was brand new and now you are starting to push it?

Other than that, check scheduler for auto Defrag, may wanna configure that WHEN you want to and not seemly random. Also check for HD indexing, lots of folks turn it off. Bottom line, when the laptop is idling, the HD LED should just blink once in a while and not look like busy.

every22

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015

I changed the defrag, but I don't know what you mean by indexing or where to find it. i have windows 10 if that helps.

And there's no light on my machine to indicate the HD, I can't tell.

every22

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015

Not sure if this helps but here's a screenshot of the resource thing. the Disk one keeps fluctuating with no change in sound. It's always "running", i can hear it even when Idle, but it goes off when i put it to sleep or close it

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
olg1976 Laptop General Discussion 1
Sandeeplll Laptop General Discussion 2
S Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 6
N Laptop General Discussion 5
P Laptop General Discussion 2
F Laptop General Discussion 1
A Laptop General Discussion 3
A Laptop General Discussion 2
R Laptop General Discussion 1
T Laptop General Discussion 10