Youssefnagy

Honorable
May 1, 2013
So I want to play different sounds on different audio outputs (i.e. skype in my open headphones and a game/music on my sound system). Is that possible without a dedicated sound card? If not what sound cards do you recommend? Nothing fancy though.

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Hi,

It is indeed possible, but it's the job of the application to implement support.

Starting with Windows Vista, Windows has two "default" audio output devices, a "Default Device", and a "Default Communication Device". The Default Communication Device is supposed to be reserved for voice and isn't used very often.

Applications will by use the Default Device unless they configure themselves otherwise. Some programs enumerate all of the installed devices and allow users to select one, this is particularly common with media players and chat programs.

If your sound system is connected to a different output than your headset, you can set that as the default and most applications should use it. For applications such as Skype, set your headset as the device.