Motherboard Wars: Asus Threatens To Sue Gigabyte, Websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

saljr

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
"Asus" a web site review your product and came to the same conclusion...Energy Processing Unit, short EPU. I only use Asus and Gigabyte products. My next motherboard has to be super energy-efficient. Big Thanks to Gigabyte for your Honest. Now Days,Thats super hard to find in the corporate World.

saljr

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
(This is the part I like.) Asus, its P5Q series of motherboards in fact "utilizes the newest version of the EPU hardware based energy saving chip. So, Gigabyte wasn't lying before but now with the newest version....they are lying now. This sound like false advertising and now(CYA)cover your ass.

frodbonzi

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
Now what Tom's would have done in the past was actually post their opinion on whether Gigabyte was actually lying... isn't that what all these reviews/benchmarks/etc for???!!?!?

So Tom... was Gigabyte lying? What's the verdict on the ASUS motherboards? Don't bother posting this without the crucial info!

montanabay

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
This would be a great Tom's Benchmark article (ASUS vs Gigabyte: The Power War). Regardless of who's lying or not, I'm really curious about these energy efficient MOBOs, what it means for desktop computing and if there are any OC improvements/pitfalls.

Rip181

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I Thought Asus Bought Gigabyte a few Years ago. I guess I am thinking about something else cause bashing your parent company isnt a good/smart thing.

alantlchan

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Have anyone here read this?
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-gigabyte-motherboard,5403.html

"In an official second statement following up to the first, ASUS pointed out that its products do perform as claimed. However, the second statement talks about the P5Q Deluxe, which is not the same motherboard that was used in the Gigabyte tests — which was the P5K series. ... In Gigabyte’s original claim, the EPU (apparently an old one now) was nothing more than a chip that responded to software, and did no hardware control of any kind. The P5K claimed only 4-phase power and Gigabyte’s comparison indicated that the P5K did not perform any phase changing at all to save power."

G

what is funny is that Gigabyte made no reference to the P5Q series (which arent even released yet), instead they were referring to the P5K series which ASUS hasnt mentioned in its counter attack...

G

That seals the deal for me. Regardless of how this plays out I'll never by an Asus board again. And frankly I'll give Gigabyte a try as they actually exposed a false competitor. And if you think about it they must know they have nothing to hide or they woulnd't have post such a strong argument. They know the scrutiney is coming and they are confident to come out victorous. Now would be the PERFECT time to buy a Gigabyte board in my opinion! Piss off Asus....you got too big anyhow and no longer are "the" brand.

G

Asus, in response to Gigabyte, only talk about the P5Q mobo which isn't released yet. That means that Gigabyte claims about current Asus mobos are true...

G

"So Tom... was Gigabyte lying? What's the verdict on the ASUS motherboards? Don't bother posting this without the crucial info!"

I was thinking the same thing. What's the bother? Tom's has the full capability of testing Gigabyte's claim themselves, why not? In that respect, why hasn't ANY known tech site tested this and laid it to rest? I don't get it.

alantlchan

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
[citation][nom]jeeziss[/nom]... why hasn't ANY known tech site tested this and laid it to rest? I don't get it.[/citation]

Which do you see more? A website/magazine saying something is bad? Or saying something is good so you want to buy something?

As I know, websites/magazines borrow (or the manufacturer lent them) products to do tests most of the time. If any of these media saying a particular brand is bad (even with solid evidences), then you can guess what happen. Probably they can never borrow a product again! (Asus is not small brand) The risk is too high.

I am so glad that Tom's is bold enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.