Motherbord without CMOS

Benjamin_71

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
For a high security laptop i need a bios without a cmos battery to disable reseting the bios. I heared this technology exists but I have bo idea what it is called. Or any other technology made it impossible to reset the bios.

Solution
If it's for security then you are most likely worried about someone trying to reset a bios password. This is a non issues on the vast majority of modern laptops as the password is saved in NVRAM which is not affected by removing the cmos battery or resetting bios defaults. Most either require a special reset procedure only the manufacture knows or there is not way to reset it and if forgotten the motherboard is a brick. Same goes for HDD/SSD passwords that are stored on the drive and not in bios.

bignastyid

Splendid
If it's for security then you are most likely worried about someone trying to reset a bios password. This is a non issues on the vast majority of modern laptops as the password is saved in NVRAM which is not affected by removing the cmos battery or resetting bios defaults. Most either require a special reset procedure only the manufacture knows or there is not way to reset it and if forgotten the motherboard is a brick. Same goes for HDD/SSD passwords that are stored on the drive and not in bios.

Solution