Motorola DROID Arriving Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
My Motorola Q9 has been good to me for the past year, need to start looking for a new phone. This probably wont be coming to ATT cause of the iphone, I hope it does though.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
This looks like a fantastic product, but I think its really pathetic that they have to market it as an iphone alternative. Only comparing it to the iphone doesnt do it justice. They should focus on the positive, on what android can do. Instead these ads are just cryptic and confusing to the average user.

Negative advertising only works in zero-sum situations. When losses by one player = gains for another negative advertising works. (i.e. political campaigns) It does NOT work when there is a crowded market for smartphones with multiple serious contenders. This ad campaign may negatively impact Apple, but it will not positively benefit droid.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]This looks like a fantastic product, but I think its really pathetic that they have to market it as an iphone alternative. Only comparing it to the iphone doesnt do it justice. They should focus on the positive, on what android can do. Instead these ads are just cryptic and confusing to the average user.Negative advertising only works in zero-sum situations. When losses by one player = gains for another negative advertising works. (i.e. political campaigns) It does NOT work when there is a crowded market for smartphones with multiple serious contenders. This ad campaign may negatively impact Apple, but it will not positively benefit droid.[/citation]

The ad sold me. I'm buying a DROID immediately.

nerdherd

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I laughed when I first saw this commercial. I don't know that it will convince iPhone users to switch to the Droid, but it does have a few good points. On the other hand, the average consumer would have no idea what this commercial was talking about. I totally agree that they need to start making commercials showing some cool things the phone will do, including the free turn-by-turn navigation app, the docking station and car mount, and the customizable homepages, etc. I can't wait to give this phone a try and see if I like it as much as it's looking like I'm going to!

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
I've never ventured into the smartphone district yet but I'm going to be getting myself a Droid as soon as they are out. Already reading up on how I can start developing apps for mine. Woot!

amdgamer666

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
[citation][nom]IronRyan21[/nom]"These aren't the droids you're looking for" - Apple[/citation]

LMAO! I don't usually say this because it's way overused, but that was epic! Apple should take your idea and pay for you for it. Thanks for making my day :)

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
[citation][nom]IronRyan21[/nom]"These aren't the droids you're looking for" - Apple[/citation]
Strange, I remember posting that exact comment here a few days ago, whatever, share and share alike.

gimarbazat

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
reminds me about PC vs Mac... Still PC dominates after many years of crapy adds from Apple. Hate Apple, Steve Jobs, overpriced gray or white looking computers, iDVD which I was not able to create simple dvd with chapters (and thats a paid software) etc, etc etc. Snow Leopard it's not bad, runs nicely on my Hackintosh.. try it on PC it's cool by the way!

BUT love iPhone.. it is going to be the same with the iPhone over any other device, they are much ahead: OS, App Store, Jailbreak with Cydia with hacked paid apps and can do all the "iDont" except 5 megapixel pictures so crapy adds wont help motorola, verizon, google or whichever to overthrow iphone never ever!!!

jrsdav

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I'm all for fierce competition in the smart phone market, and would love to see something put a big dent into the iPhone. But there is still one problem with this device.....

Its made by Motorola.

Their reputation of being a manufacturer of poor quality devices kills any interest I have of switching from my iPhone; or even recommending one to a friend for that matter.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Motorola phones were the best built phones on the planet, if they are back in the game than my hat goes off to them. Alot of these internet phones being built now are just a bunch of cheap plastic parts thrown together with very little quality, one drop and their dead. My Motorola phone was droped 14 times and still is working. Go Motorola.................

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Love the phone, hate the commercial. I must say, that iDont commercial does nothing for what the android does do. I've searched long and hard trying to figure out what makes the Android "Not" a carbon copy of iphone, was a selection of a few killer apps. I hate to say it but boasting feature's like "Calendar, Contacts, Email" is like saying "look at me! i have the same features of the first PalmPilot, but with color!"

reciprocalinhibition

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Motorola phones were the best built phones on the planet, if they are back in the game than my hat goes off to them. Alot of these internet phones being built now are just a bunch of cheap plastic parts thrown together with very little quality, one drop and their dead. My Motorola phone was droped 14 times and still is working. Go Motorola.................[/citation]

Just on coincidence every phone I have owned in the past 13 years (4 models) has been Motorola. Just like any company attempting to survive a competitive market the phones have ranged from average in some aspects to very good in others. Motorola has always offered models with solid engineering and design at it's top end. It's always been the low end models and the terribly deisgned early Razr models where I saw the company self destructing. My most recent model, the Q is still going after 3+ years of 50+ txts/emails per day and 1000s of hours of calls. Most important every Motorola phone I have chosen has had fantastic call quality. Reviews already show Droid is no different. It looks like Verizon finally didn't place half-baked controls on the phone and hopefully this one will last me 3 years of doing as promised. It's too bad Motorola pushed the Razr design and various models for so long. The entire company almost payed for it. Hopefully the droid designers are a little wiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.