Motorola Releases Status on ICS Upgrade Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Glad I have my Galaxy Nexus. lol. Although I'm pretty stupid when it comes to getting a phone, I always buy it when it's like $800.. -.-

I really need to learn to wait two months, now its $550.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
I must say I'm dissapointed. I have a Razr Maxx. Fortunately, Go Launcher is a nice step above the default Motorola interface, though even it is not perfect. I'm somewhat like Joytech...I tend to go for what I want in the now as opposed to worrying about the costs (when I can). I fear by the time they ready ICS for my phone there will be something newer that I'll really want...and probably get. ...of course they do that on purpose. :/ ...at least I have a Transformer Prime to help cheer me up.

pinkeyes

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
So Q3 '12 or later for all Motorola phones... and consider ICS came out in October '11.

My upgrade is up in April... and for me this means I just won't buy a Motorola phone, period.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Undetermined=You already paid for the phone. Sucks to be you!

I'm waiting for a phone the size of the Droid Galaxy Note, the battery of the Droid Razr Maxx and really good camera quality, with ICS out of the box, AND on Verizon. 4G is a given.

Until then, I'll wait.

rakesh_toms

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Companies can do all these corporate talk BS! There are independent developers with very limited time and resources churning out ICS ROMs from AOSP base for these devices at fast pace. Sure they have a few kinks to be worked out, but that is because the developers dont have proper drivers and such. Should I really believe Motorola dont have the resources to update phones to ICS until after the next big android release??

G

No wonder Moto said they will unlock the bootloaders when it releases ICS. By that time the RAZR, in all 23 variations by then, will be nothing but a foot note in Moto's history book.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
After getting burned by HTC and their "update" schedule I have vowed to never buy another Android phone unless it a pure Google phone.

Heck I am becoming so sick and tired of the android crap that goes on between the device manufacturers and carriers that I may just hold out for the next version of Windows phone and jump ship.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Funny how the more Android enables features, like tethering and such, the more time it takes for the carriers to find ways to cripple them. Rest assured, this and their custom bloatware launcher and apps are the only reasons it takes that long to release them to masses.
Carriers like these, and stupid phone manufacturers, are the ones giving Android a bad fragmentation rep. in it's vanilla form Android is a perfect OS. I still prefer it to some closed alternatives, because it offers so much customization.
Even funnier is how only a few days after they have worked so hard to cripple their phones, some dev dude working alone can crack it and release it into the wild in just a few days. Instead of investing all that money into building roadblocks, they should invest it in revamping their hardware line and start listening to the customers' feedback. Is it that hard to slap a BIG battery together with a top-of -the-line screen, 2 GB RAM and release it in our hands?

arges86

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
Why is the Photon getting a 3rd Quarter update, when the Electrify is on the 'Undetermined' list?
They are the same hardware, just different carriers.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
[citation][nom]arges86[/nom]Why is the Photon getting a 3rd Quarter update, when the Electrify is on the 'Undetermined' list?They are the same hardware, just different carriers.[/citation]

Different carrier = different bloatware.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Wow, almost a year after the announcement/debut of ICS software updates come. I'm not a fanboy or anything, but this is making me have second thoughts about getting an Android phone. I guess I will stick out my 2.5 year old 3GS a little longer. I bought it when Droid phones were still relatively new. It has been a decent phone, but far from perfect. I'll wait for some new Droids designed around ICS or WP8. I'm definitely ready to move on from iOS.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Sweet, only have to wait until Q3 2012 to get ICS for my Atrix.... =\

Maybe by then they'll have figured out why YouTube constantly locks up on the d*mn thing.

erikstarcher

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]Sweet, only have to wait until Q3 2012 to get ICS for my Atrix.... =\Maybe by then they'll have figured out why YouTube constantly locks up on the d*mn thing.[/citation]
I am surprised to see the Atrix on this list. And I've never had an issue with YouTube on my Atrix.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
So with Jelly Bean coming out this year, I'll still be running Gingerbread while phones are coming out three versions later (Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean) even though my phone was only a couple months old when ICS came out? It takes longer to port ICS to a phone than it took Google to write ICS in the first place?! Does that seem ridiculous to anyone?

Honeycomb was tablet exclusive. I guess ICS will be Nexus exclusive at this rate.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
There's nothing really wrong with Gingerbread but when they made it sound like you'd be able to get the latest and greatest when you bought the phone this news really stinx. I won't say the devs are lazy but I am disappointed that these ICS ports obviously get such a low priority. Motorola, you can do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.