Motorola Responds to DROID X Bootloader Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
**** you Motorola, if you really supported openness, you would not do this kind of dirty trick. At least we consumers can vote with our dollars, I will not buy any further Motorola devices until they change their attitude on this (speaking as a current Droid owner).

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Gotta say I am a little disappointed. Although many months away till my phone decision is ultimately chosen, I am leaning towards an Evo. Does this mean the Droid being released at the year is going to have the same 'issue'?

bentonsl_2010

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
This is why motorala fails. Openness is just what it is... I.E. "the ability to choose" If we wanted this we would all be apple fagboys. I will stick with my nexus one thks.

hpram99

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Holy cow, lets add another reason to why the Pre is better than droid. Even though it's old technology I'd STILL buy one over a droid (oh, and the superior multitasking management helps). Preware has to be the easiest way to get homebrew on a mobile phone.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]I'm sure someone's going to find a way around this pretty fast.[/citation]

Maybe, but with changes going on at the "silicon level" it'll probably be ugly, dirty, and not very worth while.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Guys, this really isn't that different then other phones put out by Motorola.

The only reason we have root on the original droid is that there was a bug in their code that authenticated the signed updated (it was a loop that incremented by the wrong amount), and we exploited it to gain root. The only difference with the original droid is that it didn't have a signed bootloader. However, compare that with the milestone which did have a signed boot loader and we got around that regardless.

Now that people know they wont brick their phones, the hacking community can go nuts on it and find some new and cleaver way to get root access.

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
all the people that say ill stick with my pre or evo must realized..great your phone is unlocked..too bad your stuck on the sub par sprint network.....and who needs to unlock the phone anyways. I can do anything I want with my droid without unlocking the phone. Most the people complaining about it dont have a need to unlock it or gain root access anyways.

G

Whatever... someone will find out how to block or reroute the check, or at least emulate "approved" software.

In the mean time, I'm totally not buying this until that happens or until Motorola remembers what Android is and what it has meant to the majority of its users since day one. Whichever comes first.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]WarraWarra[/nom]LOL next they will tells us it is for our own good to wear a Jewish cross / other cultural identification and enter into a gas chamber.WT* Motorola ????[/citation]

Did you just compare the inconvenience of a locked firmware... to the Holocaust?

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Its probably a series of e-fuses, similar to what the xbox 360 uses. When it fails it blows 1. Then blows another one when its correct again mitigating the effect of the first one. On and on it goes. This is almost fool proof, but is beatable as is proven with modded 360's. However, the technique was easy on a large device, on a highly integrated device such as a phone its likely to be very difficult, and not worth it. Frankly I dont know why Motorola cares, and it does seem to be only to make sure you keep their stuff on there for whatever reason.. probably agreements with facebook and what not, that will pay Motorola money to make sure every Droid X has their stuff on it by default. or their are simply being assholes.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
The good thing, if you messed up with your phone accidentally "destroyed" the phone, the phone is guaranteed that it can be recovered.

The bad things is that this will take away almost all the advantages, fun, and freedom from owning an Android phone.

In my opinion :
I don't see the reason why Motorola should go into this kind of protection method.
All people who rooted or modifying their phones are non-regular users and already know the benefits and risks of loosing warranty by doing so but more importantly, they know what they are doing.
Ordinary user will never do that.
This protection method is not even necessary.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Sorry, I do not see an issue with what Motorola did. In most cases this was a requirement from Verizon.

But honestly, at the end of the day, if the phone works without any problems and Motorola did not block developers from creating content/apps/etc there is no problem here.

Status
Not open for further replies.