Motorola Wins Injunction Against Apple's iCloud in Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogueKitsune

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
While I hate all this patent trolling/litigation crud that is going on around the world, it is nice to see one of the biggest Patent trolls to be on the receiving end every once in a while

G

can I sue apple for not giving me the right instruction to hold my iphone right before I make my decision getting that stupid daming phone and tire-bone with ATnT for a 2 years hell expensive contract?

vikeor

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
your news is really old sometimes...

And just like that, the BBC is reporting that Apple's exhortations have been heard, and the ban has been lifted. Details are few, but Cupertino had this to say about this latest turn of events:

"All iPad and iPhone models will be back on sale through Apple's online store in Germany shortly."

egidem

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I guess Apple got a taste of its own medicine. It would be funny if they were to actually go ahead and appeal but end up losing in the end.

Apple needs to get into their heads that when threatened by competition, make better products by innovating; but instead they resort to suing the competition for having a device that might look like theirs. Seriously?? The label SAMSUNG is clearly on the front of the device, how much more similar could they be?

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]egidem[/nom]I guess Apple got a taste of its own medicine. It would be funny if they were to actually go ahead and appeal but end up losing in the end.Apple needs to get into their heads that when threatened by competition, make better products by innovating; but instead they resort to suing the competition for having a device that might look like theirs. Seriously?? The label SAMSUNG is clearly on the front of the device, how much more similar could they be?[/citation]

If you rip off a device, does adding your name to it make it OK

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
It's not an injunction against iCloud (which encompasses several features), but against iCloud's push email service. Big difference.

No idea why such a thing is patentable. Software patents need to go.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]It's not an injunction against iCloud (which encompasses several features), but against iCloud's push email service. Big difference.No idea why such a thing is patentable. Software patents need to go.[/citation]

It isn't patentable, really. It's a FRAND patent, Motorola just hasn't offered 'fair and reasonable' license terms to Apple yet.

But it has to legally. Just more FRAND abuse like Samsung tried.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
This FRAND patent abuse will come back to haunt Moto/Google and Samsung. Good luck getting your products included in any future standards.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]It isn't patentable, really. It's a FRAND patent, Motorola just hasn't offered 'fair and reasonable' license terms to Apple yet.But it has to legally. Just more FRAND abuse like Samsung tried.[/citation]

no your wrong the patent for the push email service is not a FRAND patent and they dont have to let apple use it at all.

The other patent was a FRAND patent (the one that got the apple stuff banned) however Apple refused to pay the fair fee they offered a few years ago so now they have to agree to a settlement for those years not paid before they get to use the patent legally

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]irish_adam[/nom]no your wrong the patent for the push email service is not a FRAND patent and they dont have to let apple use it at all.The other patent was a FRAND patent (the one that got the apple stuff banned) however Apple refused to pay the fair fee they offered a few years ago so now they have to agree to a settlement for those years not paid before they get to use the patent legally[/citation]

Irish Adam? Please.

I don't make mistakes. And you're* wrong, not me.

[citation][nom]DailyTech[/nom]Today's victory for Motorola over Apple saw the iPhone maker being found in violation of EP (European Patent) 0847654 (B1) (U.S. counterpart: U.S. Patent No. 5,754,119), which covers a "multiple pager status synchronization system and method".

The trial regarding the patent began in November and was just adjudicated today.

The terms were not immediately announced, but its presumed that Apple will be given the chance to pay a bond and prevent the injunction, while Motorola will have to pay a bond if it wants to enforce the injunction.

Judge Andreas Voss made the ruling, which, if it passes the bonding stage, will likely force Apple to kill push-email functionality in order to keep the iCloud and MobileMe services active in Germany. This means that i-devices with 3G modems would have to return to pulling emails from the server at regular intervals, a slight setback which means you may not be updated as quickly with an important email.

Apple reportedly did not contend in the trial that the patent was covered under FRAND. Instead it tried to narrow the scope of the patent to allow iCloud to appear sufficiently different so as not to infringe. This approach basically failed in the lower court.[/citation]

http://www.dailytech.com/Germany+Bans+Apples+iCloud+iPhone+4+iPad+2+Spared+From+Second+Ban/article23929.htm

Educate yourself please.

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]It isn't patentable, really. It's a FRAND patent, Motorola just hasn't offered 'fair and reasonable' license terms to Apple yet.But it has to legally. Just more FRAND abuse like Samsung tried.[/citation]

The problem comes from Apple not licencing the FRAND patents until it got caught using them. They both would licence the FRAND patents but Apple does not want to pay extra for the period they where infringing them (wanting special terms) and so both of them do not have to offer them.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Haha, sorry I quoted the wrong bit:

'As part of its antitrust procedure in authorizing the purchase, it may examine whether Motorola unfairly denied Apple FRAND licensing in the two of its three Mannheim Court lawsuits that were based on 3G patents.'

From the article. In other words, the case which caused Apple to withdraw the products, was due to FRAND licensing.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
@watcha

The separate push email ban would only come into effect if Motorola decided to enforce a second judgement that Apple's iCloud and MobileMe infringed another of its innovations.

The patent relates to two-way communications between pagers and other devices and was granted in 2002.

If Motorola decides to enforce the judgement some iPhone users in Germany would lose the ability to automatically receive emails as soon as they have been sent. Instead they would either have to manually check their accounts or set their devices to periodically check for updates.

This patent is not deemed to be critical to an industry standard, so the firm does not have to license the technology to Apple even if the iPhone-maker offered to pay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16877438

Status
Not open for further replies.