Motorola XOOM Arrives Feb 24 Without Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Wasn't the Xoom the tab the one that wouldn't allow you to access the built in wifi without a contract? Is that why there isn't a mention of built in wifi or is it assumed?

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
$20/month with a 1GB cap.....why on earth would this not qualify for the same unlimited data @ $30/month that my droid uses?! For what they are charging you would think they could allow a little more data to be used....

Once you get that 4G.....if I did my math correctly you can max it out for all of 160 seconds before the overage charges began!

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Or we all just wait for the Wi-Fi version and just use Tethering to our phones that already have 3G or 4G service and save $200-$300. Why would anyone want to pay for 2 cellular plans is beyond me.

Accidental

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
The XOOM appears to blow away all tablets but the price (and the lack of a cheaper WiFi only version) is the only thing keeping me away from it. I don't like Verizon Wireless and their pricey and capped data plan options. I'll just use my phone's 4G hotspot capability or use on of the millions of WiFi networks out there.

I like the ipad but iOS and poor pixel density @ 130dpi is a huge turn-off.

Who knows, I'll give it a good 15 minutes at the store. If it blows me away, it *may* bite.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
There is a cheeper WiFi only version coming out, Motorola has it listed on their website. I believe it is going to price in the 499-599 range when it released. They wont release it until a month or two after the 3G version is out to give providers a chance to sell them with contracts.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Whats the point of tablets? If I am going to pay that much money I would rather have a nice laptop.

Currently, everyone is jumping on the tablet bandwagon, but really, they are great for consuming media, not much else.

Most people already have something that fits everything a tablet does. My 6 year old laptop plays flash, so go figure.

G

Because the form factor of a laptop doesn't suit a huge portion of the media consuming public. Many people would rather laze on their couch with a tablet in hand and have the tactile feel that touching stuff directly on screen gives you. Also a lot of people have said that using a laptop or desktop 'feels like work' and that they don't like feeling like they are in the workplace when they are at home. For browsing and consuming information, for reading ebooks and for looking at videos and pictures and sharing them with family, I much prefer the tablet aesthetics and handling, passing a laptop around is far clunkier.
When I have work to do, I go to my desk and fire up the i7-950 and the big screen, but when I'm relaxing I find the tablet consumes much more of my time than my i7 2.8 laptop, which is gathering dust most nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.