Mouse won't work on laptop?

Banete

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
I'm currently using this old laptop for basic tasks such as browsing the internet since I'm on the go right now. I brang my own mouse and keyboard with me, but here is where the problem starts. My laptop detects only my keyboard, and not my mouse. I mean, the lights on my mouse activate, but I cannot move the cursor with the mouse I plugged in. I can though use the trackpad on my laptop. I tried with another mouse I had bought for cheap, and yet it still didn't work. Does anyone know the solution to this problem? Thank you.

Solution
You didn't mention what kind of mouse, but here's something to try: if your mouse supports various polling rates, as many gaming mice do, hook the mouse to your main computer and turn the polling rate all the way down. I'm wondering if your old laptop simply can't handle the higher polling rates of a modern gaming mouse.

seamus_ar

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
You didn't mention what kind of mouse, but here's something to try: if your mouse supports various polling rates, as many gaming mice do, hook the mouse to your main computer and turn the polling rate all the way down. I'm wondering if your old laptop simply can't handle the higher polling rates of a modern gaming mouse.

Solution

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Banete : "Laptop detection problems"