Move Over High-Definition, Here's Ultra-Definition

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Ah yes, 2160p. The uptake of this technology and the content associated with it will be slow. I still have a hard time convincing people to move on to HD.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Well 1080p has been around for quite some time..Its about time we see some innovating picture quality come into the market. I'll be ready to replace my 1080p at any moment, so bring it on:)

jodrummersh

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]Well 1080p has been around for quite some time..Its about time we see some innovating picture quality come into the market. I'll be ready to replace my 1080p at any moment, so bring it on[/citation]

Really? Already time to move on for you? Dang. I suppose us with good eyesight could benefit from this, but I'd have to see it first to see if it's worth the trouble. Also, good luck finding a format to support this, considering blu-ray has barely caught on among the masses.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]jodrummersh[/nom]Really? Already time to move on for you? Dang. I suppose us with good eyesight could benefit from this, but I'd have to see it first to see if it's worth the trouble. Also, good luck finding a format to support this, considering blu-ray has barely caught on among the masses.[/citation]
some people buy ferraris, other people buy $10,000 dream PC's...

I like having the best TV I can possibly afford. Whats wrong with that? ;)

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]some people buy ferraris, other people buy $10,000 dream PC's...I like having the best TV I can possibly afford. Whats wrong with that?[/citation]

Whats wrong is that you will having nothing to watch on it that actually takes advantage of it.

Most people still don't take full advantage of their 1080p tv's...damn 720p channels/720p console games

vancouverboy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
The mainstream market has just started accepting contents (movies, tv programs) in 1080p and isn't hardly reaching its mature stage. Adding another HD resolution format any time soon wouldn't make sense.

But, as being a computer display I definitely am looking for one. Hmm... it makes ALL current video cards totally obsolete running on just ONE of this monitor, and I want 1+2 hahha...

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
My only hesitation is that I frequently see things even in bluray movies that, due to the high resolution, would not be visible (or possibly just distinguishable) to the human eye at the distance that the camera was originally at.

The best example I can think of is once when I saw the 3rd pirates of the Caribbean bluray on demo at Best Buy. It was on a 52' inch hd set, showing the scene where Depp wakes up in the desert. His head was over two and a half feet tall and I could see every pore on his face standing 20ft away from the tv. Yay, high definition.(/sarcasm)

I wonder whether this will become a bigger issue as resolutions continue to increase. Most things look beyond fantastic in HD but I think it causes an unsettling or disorienting effect on people when the definition of small, relatively close objects is higher than what the eye could see at the same distance.

universalremonster

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Well 1080p has been around for quite some time..Its about time we see some innovating picture quality come into the market

Sorry to say, but the 1080p standard is here to stay for quite a while. You have to remember that the cutting edgers like you and I do not drive the market...we are merely a fraction or a percent of it. It is the masses that drive it and the masses haven't even gotten heavily onboard with blu ray and 1080p displays. Another HUGE hurdle that will keep us from advancing beyond 1080p is content providers and cable companies. I can remember way back picking up one of the first Sony 1080i projection tv's and the big problem was content providers did not want to spend the massive amount of money to upgrade their infrastructer in order to have the neccesary bandwidth to broadcast such high resolution programming....and now after they finally give in and get us up to 1080p, which is still a premium option and not the norm, there is NO WAY someone is going to convince them to do it all over again this early (or even in the next 10 years) and upgrade infrastructure again to allow for more than double the existing bandwidth to send a 2160p signal.

This display is merely a tech demonstration of what could be, or if it does see the light of day will be showing 1080p content that is upsampled to 2160p, but not natively.

reconspartan

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
[citation][nom]Tuan[/nom]a new Oxide TFT Semiconductor which helps the display's 8-million HD pixels move at ultra high speeds[/citation]

Where do they go?

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
The big size appeals to me more than the higher resolution, honestly.

[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]some people buy ferraris, other people buy $10,000 dream PC's...I like having the best TV I can possibly afford. Whats wrong with that?[/citation]

Nothing at all. Just.. like what's been said, you'd buy a 2160p display - and would only be running everything in 1080p.

And, well, being an early adopter you might run into some troubles - and find the next gen - or '2nd Gen' UD displays far, far superior. Obviously being a tech enthusiast I'm 'preaching to the choir' saying that though.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Ooooo - what about media. You have this excellent TV but what are you going to play on it. Upscaled Blu-Rays?!@#
Just think how big the files are going to be - will Blu-rays even hold that much data for the movie? Will the laser be able to read the data fast enough? Are we going to have to move to another media format already? Are we getting ahead of ourselves a little?

fatdoi

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
guess the biggest benefactor will be the Hollywood plastic surgeons when all movie stars will need more 'augmentations' to cover up their lines...

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]jodrummersh[/nom]Does it come with the lady?[/citation]
I'll trade her in for the Firefox Girl. It's all about user preference, ya know. ;)

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I give it 3-5 years before that thing makes it anywhere outside of a showroom, its a nice toy to show off but its got to be super expensive to make and with no standard media to play on it that will make use of its extra pixels its not worth it, until i can get everything in 1080P i doubt we will move up to 2160P

Status
Not open for further replies.