Movie Studio 11 and FRAPS

Pollin

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
So I want to make some vids for YouTube, and I have FRAPS. I need something to render it out with, so I looked at Sony movie studio 11. But from what I hear it has trouble with fraps files. Is this true and if so is there a work around or do I need to buy something else?

Solution
You can use just SMS but I strongly recommend rendering with Virtual dub first because fraps file size is large but if your not rendering in Full-size with fraps then the file size should be pretty normal.

If you also render it with virtual dub it basically reduces the file size without loss of quality and that in itself isn't a very long process compared to rendering a large file in SMS and then adding to the video.

These are the codecs you need to download in order to use a Avi format that fraps uses for videos in SMS.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/files/

hotwiregirl

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I use Sony Vegas Pro and to be honest the fraps videos don't have a problem as long as you have the correct codec for it to run the video file.

In all honesty it would be easier to use Virtual Dub to reduce the file size and convert it to a MP4 format then afterwards you can add effects or whatever to the video in SMS.

There are guides to reduce the file size of fraps using virtual dub without loss of quality so make sure to test those out because you want the best quality video when your rendering it twice using SMS.

Pollin

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

I would much rather only have to render it out once, especially since i generally have to render multiple hours of footage out a day. So is it necessary to use Virtual Dub, or is it possible to just use SMS?

hotwiregirl

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
You can use just SMS but I strongly recommend rendering with Virtual dub first because fraps file size is large but if your not rendering in Full-size with fraps then the file size should be pretty normal.

If you also render it with virtual dub it basically reduces the file size without loss of quality and that in itself isn't a very long process compared to rendering a large file in SMS and then adding to the video.

These are the codecs you need to download in order to use a Avi format that fraps uses for videos in SMS.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/files/

Solution