Moving from Win 8.1 to 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velve69

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015
I've just recieved a HP 255 G3 Laptop AMD A4-5000 4GB RAM 500GB HDD 15.6" DVDRW Windows 8.1 and I want to clean it with gparted and reinstall with Win 7 Pro. Does anyone know of any problems I might encounter?

Rayven2

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014

Hmm, perhaps this is a issue since I've never done this with a computer that came with Win 8. Perhaps you should follow what the guy on the other forums mentioned, otherwise wait for someone else who might have another opinion on it here.

Velve69

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015

After many hours of reformatting, partition deletion, partition resizing and reinstalling with the HP recovery disks (I ordered before I started all this) it's just not possible to go back to Win7 as the hardware only supports Win 8.

Banshee897

Estimable
Apr 23, 2015

I know some computers are hardware locked to Windows 8, but if you are able to access the BIOS options, you might be able to shut off secure boot, and disable the UEFI boot settings which will help prevent issues with the install.

Velve69

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015

This one's definitely locked in. I've been building my own desktops for years (since 14.4k dialup) and know my way around the BIOS. I must say this does frustrate me though as this is MY laptop that I bought with MY money yet I can't have it running the way I want it.

It's like an architect being payed to design an open plan house, but instead, once taking the customers money, designing one with separate living room, kitchen etc, because it's their design, no matter what the customer wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.