Mozilla Builds Smartphone OS Using Android Kernel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
all that sounds cool, but using HTML5 to access all those hardware features, makes me nervous. its a new world, with new possibilities to get boned over. there is no way of telling what problems might come from this, and till i'm comfortable with it, I would rather have some kind of middle man between HTML5 and my hardware.

Another curiosity is who do they expect to push out the hardware? HTC and the like already have multiple lines for android, and are pushing out Win7. I don't expect them to be to happy to spend millions on developing hardware for a third platform that is even more of a gamble then windows mobile 7.

To be honest I think that the end user experience will be the driving factor. You can market what makes this phone OS better then all the rest, but it all comes down to how easy it is for developers to make programs, and how easy it is for users to enjoy those programs, while receiving all there messages. If Mozilla cant come up with a killer use that Android, Win7, or iOS cant meet then I don't see them taking of.

G

@mobrocket

yes Steve Job is very angry he dont get any royalty checks, indeed....

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]They did say that it will use the Android Kernel, so the HTML5 will not directly interact with hardware. There will be an interface layer between the Kernel and the HTML5 interface, probably a parser.Oh btw, I thought that the Android Kernel was the Linux v2.6 Kernel....so it's kind of stupid to call it the "Android Kernel" because Android doesn't have it's own kernel, it uses the Linux Kernel.[/citation]

cool :) still won't trust it, the easiest example in recent history is OSX, which in its original release had some really scary bugs that apple refused to acknowledge, if you want another example there where certain versions of HTC's touch flow interface (is that what its called?) that could be messed up with a single text message if you knew the right string of characters to send.

My issue isn't with the implantation, i'm sure they will do all they can to make it secure. Its being a first adopter, and taking a risk with a device that will take center stage for my calls, and my social network accounts.

A lot more can be lost, and a lot more will be at risk when this product comes to market. I support HTML 5, but i'm not sure how far companies should extend that functionality vs how familiar they are with HTML5. It is new, and I think that developers should spend more time becoming familiar with HTML5 development (bring out some cool apps that people feel the need to go to), before talking about extending its functionality into more hardware, specifically the data and voice functions on the device.

Its new, and I stand by my opinion, unless there's a really beefy layer of security between a peace of code that can run on my browser, and as a program on my phone, I wont trust it.

G

They should base it on linux to avoid all the patent lawsuit wars going on, what are they thinking?

G

Yeah, let websites interface DIRECTLY WITH HARDWARE.

What could possibly go wrong?

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]Good for them. Doubt this project will go anywhere thou... screw MSFT, APPLE and the gang, u didnt invent anything... if anyone should be pissed GOD should for creating electricity... he is awaitng his royality check still[/citation]
Shall i also pay god royalties when i have children? after all i didnt invent people either.

Please take your religious rants somewhere else, while i am Catholic, i do not go trolling on forums to preach.

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
I for one would like to see this - it would be great to have another alternative to Android provided they can make it stable and secure. However, I won't hold my breath, mozilla can take forever to deliver big projects like this. Look at FF mobile, it took forever to get to release and it still feels like a beta version to me - I've gone back to the default browser for now.

G

This should be pretty interesting. And since it's open-source and built on the Android kernel, I'm sure there will be community roms of it available for current Android phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.