Mozilla Drops Firefox 3.7 from Release Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hmmm, Adobe products causing problems? No way. Adobe writes nothing but quality software.

G

OK I will go first...Mozilla needs to drop Firefox altogether. That should get the comments going. All joking aside I still feel IE8 is far superior to Firefox as all versions of IE have been superior to all versions of FF. Yes I have tested both side by side and IE8 is faster than FF 3.5...sorry. Not to mention pages never load right in FF....I have yet to see what all the fuss is about.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]edilee012[/nom]OK I will go first...Mozilla needs to drop Firefox altogether. That should get the comments going. All joking aside I still feel IE8 is far superior to Firefox as all versions of IE have been superior to all versions of FF. Yes I have tested both side by side and IE8 is faster than FF 3.5...sorry. Not to mention pages never load right in FF....I have yet to see what all the fuss is about.[/citation]

Results vary.

Firefox is MUCH faster than IE8 or earlier, Chrome, or Opera for me and the majority of the people I've talked to.

I've tried them all, and my favore it Firefox and Opera but Firefox is just faster, at least for me.

At some point you need to ask the question:

Is it me?

When you have a totally different experience than the vast majority, there is no conspiracy and the vast majority isn't wrong, you likely are however.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
You know... There are several schools of thought on fast integrations of code vs longer deployments. I run a small dev shop with several new products per year and many to maintain and we moved from small and short to large and long... (I hear there's pills for that too)

The problem is that many builds often have to skip quality checks. Bugs/hotfixes to versions of software are difficult to track due to the "next version already being run". Many other issues with code merges exist as well were individuals writing code must push their changes into the to-be-released version.

On the good side, it's nice to hear they will be trying this approach, and sure enough customers will appreciate the features being added, but there is a cost to doing so. That cost may be quality and security.

Good luck Mozilla on that one!

weegee64

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
There have been multiple benchmarks proving Firefox is faster than IE. Edilee012, you sir are an idiot or a troll.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Flash really has made a large impact on how much I use firefox. I cannot be on facebook zynga poker and pandora at the same time. The browser will just lock up or perform slowly. Lately I have been using explorer cause it does not do this. Probably because each tab is its own process. Flash is the sole reason I do not use firefox more. I cannot wait for the new release.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
With a little tweaking, Firefox can be made to work even faster than it already is.

I also suffered far more flash related crashes in IE browsers than I did with firefox, and I couldn't be happier after making the switch.

For me, Firefox is the most versatile browser I have ever used.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]edilee012[/nom]OK I will go first...Mozilla needs to drop Firefox altogether. That should get the comments going. All joking aside I still feel IE8 is far superior to Firefox as all versions of IE have been superior to all versions of FF. Yes I have tested both side by side and IE8 is faster than FF 3.5...sorry. Not to mention pages never load right in FF....I have yet to see what all the fuss is about.[/citation]

I prefer to use IE out of personal taste, and even I disagree with you.

npaladin2000

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
They're right, Mozilla needs to work in Firefox's memory footprint. The ORIGINAL idea behind FIrefox was to be lean and mean because it was just a component of the Mozilla Suite (Remember back when it was Phoenix? Of Firebird?).

IE8 uses less memory. It's gotten more stable, but there's still too many vunlerabilities. Firefox is too big, and I get problems with Flash all the time. Never did like Opera, Chrome doesn't actually have any Google Toolbar functionality (ain't THAT something?) Safari is nice, but has website compatibility issues.

Nothing is perfect.

nawat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
[citation][nom]bobdrut1234[/nom]Hmmm, Adobe products causing problems? No way. Adobe writes nothing but quality software.[/citation]
I believe you're being sarcastic.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
From my experience, Firefox performs much better than IE. I've discussed this with my school's Techie, and we've began installing FF on a large number of systems (I like to help him out in my spare time.) Firefox is also more secure than IE.

Flash does cause problems with Firefox, but [as any Linux user will tell you], Flash is just overall terrible.

The one issue I have is when opening multiple tabs, and one of them is a .pdf (Adobe again, hmm....), Firefox often freezes up. I just wait it out though and all is good. Making each tab it's own process should help with this :)

randomizer

Distinguished
Chrome is the fastest, but it simply bores me. It's a boring browser with (as yet) no useful addons. Firefox is slower than Chrome but is much more versatile as mentioned by another person. IE8 is good for my "works best in Internet Explorer" router config page, but nothing else.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007

I thought you said, "All joking aside". Surely, you can't think that IE is better than Firefox. Have we forgotten about security holes?

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Firefox is a fast, stable and secure browser. Never in the last 6 years have I encountered a problem with it.

Shift the discussion to browser PLUG-INS, however, and Flash goes to the top of the problem list. For such a poorly coded, backward incompatible, resource hog of a product, I keep asking myself why nobody gives Adobe a kick in the rear.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
Lol....I thought you said that you had finished joking ;)
I use Opera almost exclusively myself, on my work machine (XP) IE is excruciatingly slow, either to open a new tab or to close, but then so is Firefox. I can open Opera with 20 tabs in the time it takes to open a single tab in IE. That said, on my home machine (7) IE is MUCH faster, but I still dont use it. It lacks the features that Opera has had for a long time.
I dont think its Mozilla that needs to drop Firefox, more MS should drop IE and collaborate on another browser, or possibly a new open and standards compliant browser.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
To clarify FIrefox on my work machine takes a long time to open, opening tabs afterwards if fine. FF is just not my cup of tea, I prefer Opera.

Micropat

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
To you people talking about flash based problems with firefox:
I have problems with this too on vista and win7.
However I mostly use linux (Fedora12) and flash on firefox runs way smoother. This may be ironic to long term linux users becuase I think flash has historically been one big world of hurt on linux (more so than on other platforms that is). My opinion here is based mostly on lagging in pointless flash games that I don't play anymore.

@Pyroflea: (+1)
I've had that problem with multiple .pdf tabs as well. I find sometimes it works fine and other times FF freezes.

Status
Not open for further replies.