Mozilla Previews Firefox for Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
I will get excited when Mozilla releases this for the iPad and/or other iOS-based devices. Sure, it is nice to have that option for Android-based tablets, but my employer does not give me the option of using anything other than an iPad.

THEfog101

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Montezuma[/nom]I will get excited when Mozilla releases this for the iPad and/or other iOS-based devices. Sure, it is nice to have that option for Android-based tablets, but my employer does not give me the option of using anything other than an iPad.[/citation]

Fail Employer.

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
@otacon72: then try FF7 and cut that amount in half.
@Montezuma: Mozilla can't ever publish Firefox for iOS: Apple explicitly forbids applications that duplicate Apple software functionalities in its App Store - since Firefox is a browser and Apple provides Safari, Mozilla can't publish Firefox on iOS.

The best you can hope for is a jailbreak developer making an iOS version of Firefox for jailbroken iDevices. Don't keep your hopes up.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Hopefully it would eat up memory like every other version of FF. 606MB right now with 5 tabs open....just ridiculous.[/citation]

Im running FF 6.0.1 on Windows XP Pro and have 10 tabs open and using 310 MB memory.
But this is a fresh browser instance. If I keep this instance open all day it will eventually creep up to a freaking GIG of memory usage even if I kill every tab but one!!!!

rwpritchett

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
[citation][nom]mitch074[/nom]@Montezuma: Mozilla can't ever publish Firefox for iOS: Apple explicitly forbids applications that duplicate Apple software functionalities in its App Store - since Firefox is a browser and Apple provides Safari, Mozilla can't publish Firefox on iOS.[/citation]How did Opera get in the App store?

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
@rwpritchett: Opera Mobile for iOS is a slightly different beast: the browser itself doesn't browse the Intarwebz, but uses Opera's servers as compression proxies - that could have been all it needed to bypass Apple's restrictions.

PhoneyVirus

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Let me know then you can take something from one screen like the one I'm looking at now Toms hardware on my PC, drag the tab to the side of the screen and the devices like the IPad shows up and transfer the tab to the IPad or any device in your house. Again like Windows + Left key but there's going to have to be a WiFi or blue tooth in the screen. I'll wait a all time for that and maybe just maybe I might buy one for now I'm not.

Status
Not open for further replies.