Mozilla Reveals Possible New Firefox UI Direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
FireFox is all over the place... lets see, FF5 is released about a month after FF4.

FF4~5 UI is a DIRECT copy of Opera 10~11. With Opera 11.5 being quite nice looking.
Then IE9 copies FF4...

So now, FF wants to look like Chrome? Want the best Browser interface, just get Opera.

amigafan

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
It's like they are trying to develop the Firefox for my grandma instead of users like me who *use* their computers.

They just keep cramming in additional features while making UI look more and more minimalistic and dumbed down. I don't want development time & effort wasted on that crap. I want Firefox that doesn't freeze globally when loading Gmail, YouTube clip embedded on some page etc.

Why is it that when opening some multimedia heavy page or something of that kind entire Firefox freezes (for a few seconds) instead of just that tab. They promised isolated tabs (i.e., if something crashes or freezes just a tab will be affected, not entire Firefox) *years* ago and still nothing.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
If I want a Chrome, I install Chrome. I like it /I even have two browsers based on Chrome code - for testing/ but I want Firefox to be Firefox, I don't need just another Chrome. I like having more options in Firefox and more control.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Top left corner where it says Firefox... That's straight up from Opera.

No forward button is a good idea. People could simply right click it to go forward or hold right click for a forward drop down menu in case they go back too far.

[citation][nom]amigafan[/nom]Why is it that when opening some multimedia heavy page or something of that kind entire Firefox freezes (for a few seconds) instead of just that tab. They promised isolated tabs (i.e., if something crashes or freezes just a tab will be affected, not entire Firefox) *years* ago and still nothing.[/citation]
Removed Flash from my computer and I gotta say, it's much much faster (and stable). Since Youtube is pretty much the only place I use that has Flash, I'll try their new HTM5 feature for a while and see how that goes.

I hope I never have to install Flash again. Firefox has not crashed on me ONCE since I removed it a week ago. Also forgot to mention I'm using Arch Linux (i686), so the Linux Flash plugin may not be very well developed.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Treacherous Mozilla... that's enough! HATE the new GUI. No "Forward" button? Icons instead of list? Can I at least come back to old GUI?

Damn, FF used to be different. Now it just copies Chrome. Nothing against Chrome (it's rather fast and stable), but I hate dumbed down GUI. It's not up to Mozilla to decide which buttons we need and which we don't. And they claim to be a community, based on people's wishes and support... like hell they are.

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
No forward button? No search bar built in? I really hate typing searches where url's go as the browser has to guess what I want to do unless I type a prefix which wasted strokes. Im sure it can be customized but this seems a bit to dumbed down to me.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Looks good to me. Not sure what the big fuss is all about, Chrome is a great browser but I'll always prefer Firefox. I'll definitely pay whatever they decide to charge for this

Pyree

Distinguished
Wake up Mozilla! If your users want Chrome looking UI, we will dl and use Chrome. We want FF because the way it is with all the the buttons upfront for fast access. No matter what ridiculous design you are going to have, you better still have the classic UI as an option for users who prefer the classic UI.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Wow...huge complaints about no search built in...you can add keyword searches.

Mine is if I hit a ?, it searches google. So a search at newegg would be something like:

? site:newegg.com gigabyte motherboard

Not saying I'm defending the Firefox direction...it seems to have lost its innovation. It feels like so many of the browsers offer the things Firefox did. Now it just feels that Firefox is bloated and playing catchup.

Still a fan of the extensions and the customizability, but it doesn't feel like they'll be around long if they don't get their stuff together.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]huron[/nom]Wow...huge complaints about no search built in...you can add keyword searches.Mine is if I hit a ?, it searches google. So a search at newegg would be something like:? site:newegg.com gigabyte motherboardNot saying I'm defending the Firefox direction...it seems to have lost its innovation. It feels like so many of the browsers offer the things Firefox did. Now it just feels that Firefox is bloated and playing catchup.Still a fan of the extensions and the customizability, but it doesn't feel like they'll be around long if they don't get their stuff together.[/citation]

if the masses had no problem with that then the linux command line like OS would be more popular

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]FireFox is all over the place... lets see, FF5 is released about a month after FF4.FF4~5 UI is a DIRECT copy of Opera 10~11. With Opera 11.5 being quite nice looking.Then IE9 copies FF4... So now, FF wants to look like Chrome? Want the best Browser interface, just get Opera.[/citation]

IE9 was planned and developed and released before FF4. You could have easily downloaded the first preview with the same layout well over a year ago. Not sure how they copied FF4 when IE9 has a much slimmer interface than FF4.

I personally don't like the rapid deployment that FF has adopted mainly because pluggins wont keep up. FF5 was not a major change from FF4 yet ABP was not compatable with it until a bit after.

reader314

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I like Chrome's speed and stability but hate its minimalist interface. The UI might work well on a phone, but it's simple to the point of complication for the desktop user (at least those who can type and like to avoid constant use of arrow keys). Firefox does seem to be losing clear direction. That's unfortunate. I find Firefox to be far more usable than any of the competition on the desktop. I install only one add-on (ad-block) and I am happy. It offers the easiest access to the features I actually use over and over on a daily basis. I think they need to realize that they can't rule the browsing world and cannot appeal to everyone. There's a portion of the market that doesn't want a UI that is *too* simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.