Mozilla Says iPhone Jailbreaking is Legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozenlead

Distinguished
...maybe they just want to get firefox on the iPhone. Or is there already an app for it? I don't own any apple products..so..

Anyway, I support them. This is one of the best reasons to use Windows Mobile. Even though it's kinda glitchy at times, you can do anything you like to it, install anything you want - and not get sued.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Wouldn't jailbreaking constitute as circumvention of copywright protection mechanisms as stated in the DMCA? I think laws in the US are rather lax about piracy anyways. If you give people the tools (cd recorders, software, other backup devices), they will pirate software which is illegal. Most of the time people don't get caught.

People who don't like the DMCA must like to pirate stuff they don't own. I support the DMCA because it gives more clarity to the law. People enjoy debating the freeware, public domain, and open source side of things but it is just silly because they also should know how much hard work is put into developing software even if people decide to develop for free.

G

FWIW that's why I went with a WM device. I run Linux on the desktop, but oddly enough at the time windows mobile was the most "open" choice available.

Hopefully, a year from now Android will be popular enough to be an option.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Here's a tip to Apple users unhappy with Apple's DRM and other measures, stop buying Apple products! Everytime someone complains about how anti-competitive Apple is, I have to wonder why they bought an Apple product in the first place.

It not like Apple is the only option. There are other smartphones (maybe not as trendy as the iPhone), other MP3/MP4 players (maybe not as fashionable as the iPod). Other music download sites (maybe not as hip as iTunes). Other computers (maybe not as, awe hell, whats another word for "stuck-up and pretentious"?).

Its not like you've been locked into using Microsoft Word because thats all anyone accepts anymore. Its not like you have to use IE because websites use IE-only non-standards. There are currently alternatives to all Apple products.

Show Apple what you think by just not buying their crap anymore. Its not even worth it to fight them in court.

G

flashing customs drms flashpacks and or bios hacks into any mobile device is and should be legal apart from the unknowledgable self consequences upon doing so... like BRICKING UR PORTABLE DEVICE. but it is quite easy to customize stuff. but however even if u modify like the speaker volume, font size or font itself or anything really. it still doesnt break any laws. as all the custom flashes are community made without licenses.

megabuster

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
Why are we arguing about this? Jailbreak your phone all you want, but if it becomes unusable or 'bricked' don't bring the phone to Apple/AT&T for a warranty replacement or repair. If I bought a product it's my decision how to use it. If I want to take the Iphone apart and just use the screen in some custom rig its my phone, so arguing what's legal and not is a waste of time. (another hypothetical example: Intel telling its customers that overclocking is illegal, since that’s not the designed chip frequency)

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I have to agree with Mozilla on this one frankly. Nothing I own is made by Apple (for a reason). Apple is really trying to create a monopoly as best they can. If you buy their phone, you can ONLY use their software & hardware. Of course they are also trying to patent the functions of their touch screen, including the finger moves you make to get the screen to function.

Personally, I'm not an Apple fan. I've always resisted even putting Quicktime on my PC, simply cause it is Apple (plus it is annoying).

pcwlai

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Apple sells hardware and software, bundled as a service. So, they can set the rights on how the service is served.

Only submit the complaint if Windows Mobile, Andriod, BlackBerry, Symbian, Linux all disappeared and you get no choice.

pcwlai

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Apple sells hardware and software, bundled as a service. So, they can set the rights on how the service is served.

Only submit the complaint if Windows Mobile, Andriod, BlackBerry, Symbian, Linux all disappeared and you get no choice.

MoUsE-WiZ

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
[citation][nom]pcwlai[/nom]you get no choice.[/citation]
That's exactly the worry.
If Apple manages to pull wins here and in the OS bundling case it sets an annoying precedent. If the other corporations see that Apple's monopoly is actually enforceable in court, there's nothing in particular to stop them from following suit and taking away choice. Quite the opposite really, plenty of incentive. Obviously they'd have to do it slowly to avoid a massive/immediate loss in business, but a shift away from rights (or an acceleration in shift away from rights) is virtually guaranteed... it's not like Microsoft doesn't have a track record for trying to force their bloatware on the world, and it's not like the RIAA/MPAA don't have track records for trying to keep their media off of open source platforms, just as the two most obvious examples.

On top of that, shout Linux all you want, but what if Intel and AMD both end up in agreements with MS/Apple about what software is allowed to run on their hardware? That's essentially what Apple is doing with the iPhone right now.

Small scale and probably a bit paranoid yes, but to say that we shouldn't complain until no choice exists is ridiculous... put a frog in hot water it'll jump right out, but put it in cool water and slowly turn up the heat and it'll sit there till it dies.

m3kt3k

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
"I support the DMCA" What a Jackass. You know so little. I own hundreds of DVD's and use my computer to upconvert them to my TV. It does it better then any upconvert DVD player. I have to Crack the disks to get them to play or it says Im not allowed to watch them on my TV as its copyprotected. SO I break the law to watch movies I own on my TV. THE DMCA is what makes my actions a crime. Next time before you pain people who crack Software etc as thieves THINK. The App store is rigged and thats how apple is playing this game. They picked the fight now they get to live with it.

megabuster

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
[citation][nom]m3kt3k[/nom]"I support the DMCA" What a Jackass. You know so little. I own hundreds of DVD's and use my computer to upconvert them to my TV. It does it better then any upconvert DVD player. I have to Crack the disks to get them to play or it says Im not allowed to watch them on my TV as its copyprotected. SO I break the law to watch movies I own on my TV. THE DMCA is what makes my actions a crime. Next time before you pain people who crack Software etc as thieves THINK. The App store is rigged and thats how apple is playing this game. They picked the fight now they get to live with it.[/citation]

True! They don't want you to crack the software so that you buy their upconverting DVD players and Blu-Ray movies of the same titles that you already own just to be able to watch them on hi-def TV.

MoUsE-WiZ

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
[citation][nom]megabuster[/nom]True! They don't want you to crack the software so that you buy their upconverting DVD players and Blu-Ray movies of the same titles that you already own just to be able to watch them on hi-def TV.[/citation]
They need to cover the licensing cost of their proprietary encryption DRM somehow, don't they?!

G

They are definitely masking this as their Firefox on iPhone rejection complaint

hellscook

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
Whether you own an iphone or not, the restrictive nature should be fought. This sets a precedent either way. If Apple wins, it sets a dangerous one that will allow other manufacturers to follow. If the consumer wins, it helps us fight future battles for our right to do with our purchases as we please. MoUsE-WiZ said it best.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Here's a tip to Apple users unhappy with Apple's DRM and other measures, stop buying Apple products! Everytime someone complains about how anti-competitive Apple is, I have to wonder why they bought an Apple product in the first place.It not like Apple is the only option. There are other smartphones (maybe not as trendy as the iPhone), other MP3/MP4 players (maybe not as fashionable as the iPod). Other music download sites (maybe not as hip as iTunes). Other computers (maybe not as, awe hell, whats another word for "stuck-up and pretentious"?). Its not like you've been locked into using Microsoft Word because thats all anyone accepts anymore. Its not like you have to use IE because websites use IE-only non-standards. There are currently alternatives to all Apple products. Show Apple what you think by just not buying their crap anymore. Its not even worth it to fight them in court.[/citation]
Oh, how I hate that argument.

speedriff

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Apples products work mostly glitch free. For years I have fought with my various digital audio workstations on PC. After having one problem after another I finally asked a friend of mine what to do. He said,"Just do yourself a favor and buy a Mac, it will solve your problems." Knowing my friend is really a techie, I did it. I bought a used iMac and...it runs smooth as a babies...well you know. Yes Apple likes to control things but if you have ever used one you will know why. They do what a computer should. Work. That is why the major recording studios use Macs, same with video and movie post production. When a client is paying $400 and hour they don't want to hear, "Um, we lost that take" or "We have to reboot." Obviously I am a convert and am happier for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.