Mozilla Seeking to Nuke Native APIs Using HTML5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Well for once I can go with Mozilla. I think its a great idea. Now both Mozilla and MS are pushing HTML5 maybe it will flourish faster.

Plud development for the devs would be lower cost meaning lower costs to us end users.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
yay! I take back everything I said the other day about Mozilla having a lack of vision about the future! They still aren't winning me back from Chrome, but it is promising at least!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
honestly, unless advertisements can be disabled without losing website functionality, i hope html5 dies.

i can picture it, you go to a website, and the only way the website works is if all the advertisements are working in conjunction with each other, as in plugging in website code into the html5 ad, in a way that would kill the website unless all ads were on.

at least now, we have flash block and ad aware, which get rid of almost all advertisements, but i can see html5 being another hellish era on the internet.

granted this is just a possibility.

tranzz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I can't see apple jumping on board. With revenue cuts of all sales through the app store why would they want to allow people to create apps that run nativly in a web browser with no store required?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This is what I've been hoping would happen for years now. Hopefully the performance of HTML5 apps won't be much worse than native apps.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Well for once I can go with Mozilla. I think its a great idea. Now both Mozilla and MS are pushing HTML5 maybe it will flourish faster.Plud development for the devs would be lower cost meaning lower costs to us end users.[/citation]

I agree... I just hope that MS is not going to mess up HTML5 like what they did to the Java.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Great, more abstraction. Just what underpowered mobile devices need. This will further delay the point where useful work can be done on small mobile devices.

G

Thunderfox: Don't you remember what happened to Voodoo and Glide? People like you said the same then, "who needs OpenGL or DirectX, just another layer of abstraction". The rest, is history.
Today's underpowered mobiles will become ultra-fast tomorrow. Hardware gets faster. Software messes doesn't solve that easy.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
The key here is *more* abstraction. WebAPI built on HTML5 built on various OS APIs. It is a waste of resources to stack things like that. I would rather see one low level API shared by many devices and mobile OS's.

Unfortunately that won't happen, for the same reason WebAPI won't happen - too many people have too much invested in locking people into their platforms.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]Great, more abstraction. Just what underpowered mobile devices need. This will further delay the point where useful work can be done on small mobile devices.[/citation]

Useful work, mobile devices? LOL

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
If it's not a webpage stop putting it on the damn browser.

Abstraction is good, but starting from the web is ridiculous. It's like translating between languages by translating to and from Swahili.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]I agree... I just hope that MS is not going to mess up HTML5 like what they did to the Java.[/citation]

I don't think that was MS. I think it was Sun. Originally Java was a free open source program. MS used it to make their own version but then Sun was pissed so they sued. Now the only Java you can get is from Oracle (used to be Sun) and it truly is a mess.

HTML5 though is a open standard but is still standardized. It works the same on FF4/5/6 as it does on IE9 but support for every part depends on the browser having it built in. IE10 is supposed to push even more HTML5 and CSS3 standards than IE9. In fact some of the new HTML5 tests on MS IE preview page wont open in IE9 because its a newer part of it.

Still for HTML5, the biggest advantage is being able to have video with no API. It can use h.264 right in the browser which will enable faster loading and better quality than Flash.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
...And they willlll beeee slooooow as a helllll...
There is reason why fastest applications are written in the machine specific assembler language.
But we may compensate it with faster /and more expensive/ processors. The hardware manufacturers need to maintain their business.
And don't be surprised when your new shiny hardware runs your new shiny apps slower as your old pathetic iron ran your older apps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.