Mozilla to Improve Firefox Memory Performance by 30%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
How many new features do we need? It's a browser, it just needs to be good at that, and the memory problem isn't new. Junk like Panorama just bloats it for the sake of saying it does something new, even if nobody needs it to, and the whole idea of writing internal browser features like that in javascript is ludicrous and lazy.

I'm using FF4 right now, and it is taking up 350 megs with 11 tabs open. I've had it as high as 950, and responsiveness slows pathetically before it gets to that point. It does sometimes crash if you are doing too much. These are the things they need to be worrying about, not how many useless halfbaked ideas they can shove into it, or how fast they can get the version number up to match Chrome's.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
How many new features do we need? It's a browser, it just needs to be good at that, and the memory problem isn't new. Junk like Panorama just bloats it for the sake of saying it does something new, even if nobody needs it to, and the whole idea of writing internal browser features like that in javascript is ludicrous and lazy.

I'm using FF4 right now, and it is taking up 350 megs with 11 tabs open. I've had it as high as 950, and responsiveness slows pathetically before it gets to that point. It does sometimes crash if you are doing too much. These are the things they need to be worrying about, not how many useless halfbaked ideas they can shove into it, or how fast they can get the version number up to match Chrome's.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
For christs sake, it would be nice if this site worked right. Maybe divert some of the people from the localization teams to fix things like this?

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
You said you are using Firefox right? You posted same thing 5 times. LOL

[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]For christs sake, it would be nice if this site worked right. Maybe divert some of the people from the localization teams to fix things like this?[/citation]

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Work on making Firefox open quickly and load pages quickly. The rest is unnecessary. I don't need my browser to make me breakfast, just be fast, secure, stable, and compatible.

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
I would be much happier if FF was designed around a core browser program, akin to what a traditional IE 6.0 looked like, with them using addon's as a system to add all this feature bloat that people may not need, or care about. I'm using chrome now because I got tired of the frequent crashes, large footprint on my task manager, and overall poor performance in webpage rendering. I was an ardent supporter of FF for a good 7 year's now and now I would recommend to just stay the hell away.

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I'm still using 3.6 and quite happy with this. And I don't care very much if it takes 350 or 400mb of memory - I still have more than 2 gigs.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
[citation][nom]hp79[/nom]You said you are using Firefox right? You posted same thing 5 times. LOL[/citation]
Actually, I tried posting it in IE just to rule out the possibility of it being a FF bug.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
These new versions of FF aren't evolutionary. They're not even revolutionary. Rather, its devolving. FF tried to cram a few more features into its browser and the result was 2 extra builds and a memory/resource hog. Stop trying to match chrome in its revision speed and release cycle. So far, it hasn't worked, and unlikely to ever work. Mozilla should be focusing on the real important stuff, like maximising efficiency and usability. That's what will net you more market share. Either that, or replace your logo with chrome's logo.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I wish they'd abandon this rapid-release cycle and just go back to releasing revisions of releases, such as 3.1, 3.2, etc. They're just copying Chrome with the new version number every couple months nonsense.

Versions 4, 5, and 6 had no truly remarkable or massively significant changes. Really, they could all just be versions 4, 4.1, and 4.2. If version 7 does actually include a (much needed) major memory usage overhaul, then it would be the first one with a truly significant change, making it the only one that's truly worthy of a new version number.

Mozilla releases new version numbers just to keep up with the Joneses (er, Googleses?).

Status
Not open for further replies.