Mozilla, You Must Love Your Business Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Who cares? No reason to fuss over a comment like that.. I don't see how this even merit's an article..

"There are lessons to be learned for Mozilla. Arrogance does not work well and Mozilla has its strong points, as far as perception is affected, in modesty."

... I read this article with mozilla.. I use mozilla because 99.9 % of websites are compatible with it.. Never have i ever cared about Mozilla's "Attitude" or "Modesty".

Raid3r

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
To the point, I don't see how at the stage FF is at, caring about business makes since? Those places don't like upgrading ANYTHING! Its a LOSS of income for them to even have to start thinking about it. Do what you do..done.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Newer versions of FF broke some of my add-ons/extensions. There is some truth behind that blog post. I don't want to be forced to sacrifice convenience/practicality for the sake of improved security, nor the other way around. Until the fix is released, I am forced to use IE under certain circumstances (other browsers not supported) and I don't appreciate that.

cjmcgee

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
I couldn't find the comment you are referring to in the linked blog; but then should I really have to search for it anyways? Perhaps including the quote you are critiquing would help the audience know what you are talking about.

A major release every few months feels kind of crazy to me. Some form of LTS release at least would seem like a requirement. Have your product's end of life (support) date be only a few months after its release date seems kind of wacky.

My main complaint with FF 5 so far is that google toolbar still has not been updated for it. I guess google is giving their quick release cycle the finger...

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
The career future of that Prod Manager doesn't look good. No matter where he goes, his name will be on the list. Empolyers will know it. You cannot affort to make one false move. :)

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
mozilla is arrogant? 'If you dont like it than leave' isnt an arrogance its a statement,....arrogance would sound like "were the best because we have a fox around the earth"

and here is some lovely proof
Definition of ARROGANCE
: an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions

Ill bet you call yourself a journalist too...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]illo[/nom]mozilla is arrogant? 'If you dont like it than leave' isnt an arrogance its a statement,....arrogance would sound like "were the best because we have a fox around the earth"and here is some lovely proofDefinition of ARROGANCE: an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptionsIll bet you call yourself a journalist too...[/citation]
You should have read the original post (not sure why it wasn't quoted here). The Mozilla guy was talking about how Firefox didn't need IBM's measly 500,000 users because Firefox currently does 10-million downloads a day (I'm paraphrasing here, but that was the basic point). So yeah, pretty arrogant to say you don't need 500,000 guaranteed users because some kid college kids download 1000 copies of Firefox a day to keep the download totals high.

Problem is, home-users are flighty, they'll leave you in a heartbeat for something prettier and shinier. Once you are in the door at a corporation, that slow upgrade cycle works to your benefit, because the company doesn't WANT to change the software. Telling a company to go screw themselves is a good way to get kicked-out the door and never invited back. Maybe Mozilla doesn't care about IBM, that's fine. But how many more IBM's have to walk out the door before Mozilla changes it's tune?

G

Im using FF 5 right now. Currently, its the best (only) choice for enjoying videos on Comcast's xfinity online service. It's the only browser that works. With IE, some movies play at .5 fps when in full screen mode, and Chrome doesn't work at all (when movie starts the page reloads continuously for infinity haha).

Since FF 5 works great there, I naturally turn to it for Netflix and all my other browsing needs. FF FTW.

weaselsmasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Does anyone really think that Mozilla cares about this "advice"? They're overrun with "corporate haters", and entirely too used to their paychecks coming from handout/entitlements (where does the Mozilla Foundation get its money, after all).

They've just shot FireFox in the head, and their hubris won't let them see that. When you antagonize end users, developers who are developing for your platform, and decision-makers, bad things will follow. Of course, over the next few months as their market share will drop to 20%, then 10%, then single digits, they'll blame everybody except themselves. That's the classic pattern, after all... don't listen to what your customers need, TELL them what they need. If people aren't using FireFox, the problem lies with the people, not FireFox.

These are people who not only think they are right, they think they are righteous. Funny thing about being the Chosen Ones... some people can't tell the difference between the hand of God on their shoulder and the dick of the devil up their ass.

web11

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Firefox is still the best browser out there because of how flexible it is. If Chrome would allow me to clear history on exit like firefox does I would give it a try.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
FF is pretty good for the home user. If frequent updates are a problem for businesses, perhaps businesses can streamline their validation process and give the IT guys some OT to get it up and running. If the new versions keeps functionality and security up to date, then it doesn't hurt to upgrade.

BWMerlin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
What would make Firefox uptake in business easier is if they released offical MSI packages (yes I know about frontmotion). We are now in "version" 5 of Firefox and people have been asking for MSI packages near enough to day dot and there has been next to nothing done about implementing this. Next step would be admx templates for Active Directory and then I think you would see rapid adoption of Firefox into the business sector.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Does anyone know you can like have multiple versions of firefox installed on one machine?

This way you could have a tag and when firefox finds that tag tries to locate the matching firefox version. Then loading the webpage or application in that version of firefox.

I really don't see how everyone has such a tough time figuring out how to make these things work. And it's the same for all browsers. Companies are screaming murder and fire over having to go to a new version. But seriously. Build version and platform attributes into your applications. And version and platform checks and launchers into your platforms.

G

Mozilla and just about everyone on this thread are missing the point that millions of "home users" are not going to enjoy using firefox at home and then NOT AT WORK in other words a different browser every time you get up and move to a different chair. IT IS ARROGANCE, PERIOD. Software companies are vastly losing what the word FAMILIARITY means.

Status
Not open for further replies.