mp3 file degradation?

david20

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017
I recently put some mp3s onto a USB for transfer to another machine, but I've noticed some serious problems with playback at the target machine's end.

I thought digital files were supposed to have a checksum to prevent corruption etc? This is seriously weird...

Just crackles/pops at various intervals, and it's making me totally distrust any sort of backup or transfer.... I mean how can I guarantee that it doesn't happen when downloading from the vendor themselves?

Have verified the problem doesn't exist on the origin machine, only on the target machine.... !

Would love to provide both files, can anyone suggest somewhere where I can upload both?

Thanks!

David

Solution
Can you transfer the files over your LAN from the source to the target machine? If you rip some mp3s from a CD onto the target machine, is the quality OK? I have never had mp3 files degrade when transferring them from 1 machine to another, but I use my LAN most of the time. Perhaps it is a problem with the audio player on the target machine.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Can you transfer the files over your LAN from the source to the target machine? If you rip some mp3s from a CD onto the target machine, is the quality OK? I have never had mp3 files degrade when transferring them from 1 machine to another, but I use my LAN most of the time. Perhaps it is a problem with the audio player on the target machine.

Solution

Andy_K

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017
MP3 files physically cannot degrade without there being actual data loss.

Either the memory stick is knackered or the playback device has a problem.