MPAA Calls SOPA Blackout Day Dangerous and Irresponsible

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Lol, abuse of power?
The hypocrisy is mind boggling....
We know the MPAA is throwing buttloads of cash at politicians in order to woo them to their side...

Besides, it's THEIR website, NOT THEIR'S... they can do whatever they FRICKIN WANT!

cappinhoff

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Ironic the MPAA is calling this "an abuse of power". Though these black outs will have the same effect as the gas outs people are doing.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
They're just giving us a little taste of what's to come. If the bill passes, entire websites will go down because of what their users did (knowingly or unknowingly, that's the problem here). Just read Wikipedia articles from Google's cache pages for now... Good thing finals are usually held in February else a lot of students would be affected. Hahahaha.

lightzy

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
You idiots made this idiot a senator?

And you stand by this? complaining on some tech website instead of sending letters to congress and your state?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I think its GOOD that they do it, showing what happens when our politicians give out the "kill switch" to organizations that have a sole interest of making more money at _any_ cost.

And i "love" when the politicians have side interests that "don't" influence their political work "Senator Chris Dodd, Chairman and CEO of the MPAA". When politicians start to work for the industry the common mans rights get thrown out of the window - It have to stop!

G

I think we just found the achille's heal of America's crooked government. This reeeeeeaaaaalllly seems to bother them.

Imagine if all of the IT workers of America all formed a single labor union, and all agreed to strike on the same day if congress doesn't agree to outlaw lobbying, impose term limits, restore civil liberties, and quit spending trillions on pointless wars.

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
I swear that people who become politicians are, for the vast majority, a different species. They may look and talk like humans, but there is no way they are. OK maybe a different race.

G

What is unfortunate is that nobody follows the correct path of protesting anymore. If our Government tries to pass legislation we do not like we protest? Instead of trying to communicate with our Government officials on what is wrong. We act like little kids who seem to act out of spite then act with respect. We wonder why Government passes stupid on miss directed legislation but yet we fail to correctly address our concerns to them.

anony2004

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Lol, abuse of power?The hypocrisy is mind boggling....[/citation]
It surely is, mind-boggling and saddening at the same time because it comes from such high powers...

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
So shutting down your own website that you own isn't fine. That's power abuse.

But granting them the power to shut down and block websites against our will is fine. That's not power abuse.

*brain explodes*

unther

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
politics is another world on to itself, and lets face it politicians will be politicians. There are no statesmen in politics these days anyway. A true statesmen is able to take a step back and do what is right for the country, not what is in the best interest of their political career.

christop

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Google is already doing the black out on their logo and link to the anti SOPA. I hope this crap doesn't pass cause the net will be screwed.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Technology age and freedom of the word me arse. Sorry for my Irish.. Seems like politicians will do whatever they want unless it would anger the public to the point where everyone will march to throw them out. We'll be on 80s level in no time in terms of publicity and freedom of word.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]unther[/nom]Google for me is fine, but wikipedia is blacked out. Maybe because I'm from Canada?[/citation]

I've been using Google cache to work around this - it's all English speaking countries.

[citation][nom]jrharbort[/nom]So shutting down your own website that you own isn't fine. That's power abuse.But granting them the power to shut down and block websites against our will is fine. That's not power abuse.*brain explodes*[/citation]

+100000

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
The blackout is in full effect. This is an example of how powerful computer nerds can be when we unite! We can take over the world pinky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS