MPAA: Congress Should Encourage 3 Strikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
No government, within the United States, has the right to filter anything. While I do not support theft in any form, no one has the right to decide what I can and cannot see.

The MPAA can go fuck itself.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
I also wanted to add that these measures will lead people to steal a real service: Internet access. If people get cut off, those people will go to individuals that sell hacked broadband devices, or it will push people into leeching off of a neighbor's internet connection. Wireless security is shit and any kid could hack into a neighbor's wireless router.

Hell, chances are some digital thieves are already stealing internet service and these measures will only serve to hurt decent people.

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Jesus Christ, I'm sorry but is NOBODY going to do something about these lobbyists? This is getting out of control.

The MPAA bitches and moans about lost revenue here and there but I'm sure that is nothing compared to the bills they must be racking up with these lobbying groups and lawyers.

Nobody will filter my internet, mark my words.....

arghhhhhhh

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
The argument that it's a privacy breach is a little twisted. They're not coming into your home to look for a book, they're just watching people walk by with books and only become curious if they see "STOLEN" written on one of them. The ISPs could simply monitor all traffic and not care about who is doing what until something illegal pops up.

Isn't that how the police do business now (excluding the corrupt ones, of course)? They sit on the side of the road and watch you drive by, but they won't get in your sh*t unless you're speeding or driving dangerously.

I don't think this would be a good thing, though. It seems like it would cause a lot more grief and incorrect accusations just to prevent the MPAA from adapting to the current technologies and change their distribution model. Get over it, guys. People want their media streamed to them. We don't want to overpay to sit in a theater with a bunch of loud mouths ruining the movie, and we certainly don't want to wait another 6 months after that to see it on Pay-Per-View, and then another few months after that to finally OWN it on DVD. Give us a one-time fee when the movie comes out and you'll find a lot more people hopping on board.

I'd gladly take an oversized paycheck to help implement this. =)

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
NET NEUTRALITY!

If we thought the MPAA had gone over the deep end before, WTF is this? There are so many flaws with this idea and privacy rights thrown out the window. How are these filters even supposed to be implemented? And cut off from broadband completely? Talk about over doing it!

MrHorspwer

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I think Platypus has the right idea.

Pawn shops aren't allowed to resell stolen items. It is their responsibility to make sure it is legit and if it's not, well, that becomes their problem. Your ISP is the pawn shop. If they're letting the distribution of stolen good occur, well, that becomes their problem to correct.

I know this may be hard for some of you youngsters, but look back a few years to analog recordings. It was incredibly easy to copy a cassette or VHS tape and give it to a couple friends. Everybody knew this, even the recording industries, and nobody really cared enough to do something about it. Why? There was no distribution network. You gave a copy to a couple friends and that was the extent of it. Now that sharing has occured on such a massive scale, the industry wants something done about it. That's not a failed business model, that's theives ruining what used to be a good thing.

If massive sharing hadn't occured, I'll bet that personal use copies of digital material wouldn't be a big deal. They weren't when it was analong...

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
You guys could boycott movies. If people would stop going to sorry ass movies like Transformers or GI Joe, then it will really hurt the MPAA. For now, they are making millions for putting out garbage and people keep showing up. Same thing like the music industry. Support independent films and music.

G

How about this? Hollywood is a greedy f***ing machine, sorry if a movie makes $60million but costs $200million, that doesn't mean its because of thieves, it means the movie is s***. So don't tell me they can't make money off their product because the good ones still make boat loads, problem is they want every dime plus yours and mine too. So go f*** yourselves MPAA.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
You cannot filter the internet, to do so is censorship! Piracy is not the MPAA's primary threat, it is their business model and shady business practices that have gotten them into trouble.

Only a fool in congress would back something by the MPAA. After all their bad publicity of suing single mothers for millions, a great way to lose votes in upcoming elections for Senators or Representatives.

Besides, you can't filter me. You can't filter anyone, VPN services will become mainstream.

factoryfast

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
ravewulf:

The lobbying power of the MPAA (and any other group with money & power) is exactly why net neutrality regulation should be avoided at all costs. People must understand that net neutrality regulation gives the FCC the power to create and enforce rules that can benefit special interests like the MPAA. If a particular ISP started enforcing three strikes people could drop them and move on. If the government mandates every ISP to enforce three strikes, what then? Don't be fooled into thinking that net neutrality regulation will only have benign consequences. When government gets more power, special interests always benefit while individual freedom suffers.

I am not advocating copyright infringement. People should not steal movies in any form. However, with net neutrality regulation in place and influenced by the MPAA, every internet user will be treated as a suspected criminal thanks to a minority of thieves.

Perhaps groups like the MPAA and RIAA will lobby congress to ban the bittorrent protocol altogether in order to "filter piracy." After all, they'll say, bittorrent is mostly used for illegal and terrorist activities. As long as every ISP bans bittorrent, the internet will be considered "neutral"...

Why would we want to expand the power of government when groups like the MPAA are lobbying the FCC for beheaded broadband access? If the FCC doesn't have the power to regulate your internet access in the first place, the MPAA won't have the opportunity to use such power for its own advantage.

chrisv815

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I'm tired of these people. I've never downloaded a movie, but if this law passes I will never go see another movie in the theaters I know where to buy the bootleg DVD's and thats where I'm getting all of them from now on.
FU MPAA! This is America I'm tired of you jack boot anti american ways.

Jarvis

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004
Seeing this kind of thing makes me want to go crazy and download everything in sight. Can't we just shoot all of the lobbyists?

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
It's very sad to see how many people apparently support the theft of private property and attack those only trying to protect their property rights. It's sad to see how their extreme greed - their desire to get something without paying for it - can so debase their morals. Sad.

dainsane1

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
if the mpaa does force the isp's to filter all traffic; are they going to pay for the filtering equipment/software/personnel?

to implement such filtering would cost many k's and would likly be taken out of the pocket of the end user.

it's one thing to watch a particular ip or port it's a whole new bag to watch everything.

and then users encrypt all traffic; once again extra cost for all.
the bureaucrats will always be playing catchup with those who do not want to pay for content.

adjust your business model so that the every day Joe will not want to pirate content. look at apple they have done quite will with itunes and selling content; so well in fact that the riaa has given up on drm all together.

I'm so tired of it being more hassle to legally buy content rather then to acquire it by other means

Status
Not open for further replies.