MS-1761 laptop (GT780DX) - not charging, producing smoke and smell when power supply is plugged in

sbi85

Estimable
Jun 9, 2014
20
0
4,560
0
Hey guys,

This issue just came up with my laptop yesterday. After unplugging and replugging a minute later I noticed that the laptop battery is not charging anymore. I have to say though the battery is really worn out, it only hold charge for like 15mins.
I can still power up the machine (it has some batter power left) but plugging it in is just producing some smell.

I took the laptop apart to see where the problem is. Here are some pictures of the power socket:
http://prntscr.com/gb4fg6
http://prntscr.com/gb4fyh
http://prntscr.com/gb4g65
http://prntscr.com/gb4ge6

Everything looks ok to me to be honest (although I am no expert). But I can definitely feel a stronger smell around this bit.

So what do you think the problem is here? The power socket? or could it be the power supply (btw that is a adp-180hb b if it matters)?
I guess we can rule out the battery?
Anyone had similar experiences?

Since this is my work computer I’d appreciate any help you can give me.
Thank you so much in advance!
 

Rdslw

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
78
0
610
22
https://prnt.sc/gb4g65
shows "black burned thing around. Your power port have soldering problem, probably replacement and new soldering. If that thing did not fry anything else (I think so, after you said it stills "booting something") I think battery saved your components.
 

Rdslw

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
78
0
610
22
https://prnt.sc/gb4g65
shows "black burned thing around. Your power port have soldering problem, probably replacement and new soldering. If that thing did not fry anything else (I think so, after you said it stills "booting something") I think battery saved your components.
 

sbi85

Estimable
Jun 9, 2014
20
0
4,560
0


I think you might be right. I tried to do a better picture but I don't have a proper camera here atm: https://image.prntscr.com/image/uqJeKNPOQ-uJ90g63KMVKw.png

But yeah. Good guy battery then :).
I think that socket need replacement. There are vids like these that help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhryUpbTy-0

Still the question is what caused it? Should I check the power supply somehow? Maybe it did let too much power through that burned the socket?

 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Laptop Tech Support 2
Kavya Janaki Laptop Tech Support 1
fadh Laptop Tech Support 2
J Laptop Tech Support 0
AstroAvocado Laptop Tech Support 3
R Laptop Tech Support 4
WannaKnowWhy Laptop Tech Support 2
M Laptop Tech Support 5
bd01ng Laptop Tech Support 3
JBH81194 Laptop Tech Support 2
S Laptop Tech Support 1
taizai Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 0
J Laptop Tech Support 3
Tinbin Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 5
Mauriciowi100 Laptop Tech Support 1
ony308 Laptop Tech Support 2
non_believer Laptop Tech Support 2
D Laptop Tech Support 1

ASK THE COMMUNITY