Solved! MS security updates are causing bsod - how do I uninstall them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2020
hiya, desperate times;

I'm running win 7 on an old Dell inspiron 6400 - only 2 gig of memory but up till yesterday it was still working albeit a bit slow, then I started getting BSOD's - prolly over a dozen in the last 24 hours.

I looked at the security updates & it was downloaded (twice) successfully but I cannot delete them. I've looked on the MS site & they suggest running appwiz.cpl from command prompt which indeed allows you to delete updates, but does not display the ones that were successfully downloaded yesterday.

<update info from update history>
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - v5.84 (KB890830)
Installation date: ‎12-‎Nov-‎20 3:01 PM
Installation status: Successful
Update type: Important

After the download, this tool runs one time to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps remove any infection that is found. If an infection is found, the tool will display a status report the next time that you start your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center, or you can run an online version from microsoft.com. This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product. To help protect your computer, you should use an antivirus product.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com
</>

I've a lot on & it getting towards the end of my day off, hence not much time to sort this out. Previously when this (MS updates have exceeded machine resources) has occurred, I've just backed up then installed Linux which works, even if it means not being able to run CorelDraw, Photoshop or Photoshop elements - but it at least gets me running & often means another few years of a working machine. ...& also running Linux means less worries re many of the viruses, worms & trojans that afflict MS. ....erm, might be answering my own question here, eh?

any thoughts or feedback much appreciated,

Solution
MS Help suggested that - even pointed me to the restore menu & ...
....'no restore points'. Nooooooooooooooooooo!

that'll teach me, eh? :(

not good - no restore points....

As you already mentioned, Linux is always a good alternative. You can use Inkscape for Coral Draw, Gimp for Photoshop (I started using Krita recently), Libra office for microsoft office and more. You can install those same programs in windows too if you want to check them out. Or there is always wine or crossover where you can run windows programs inside of Linux. check out Linux mint xfce. It is lightweight and good for older computers

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
MS Help suggested that - even pointed me to the restore menu & ...
....'no restore points'. Nooooooooooooooooooo!

that'll teach me, eh? :(

not good - no restore points....

As you already mentioned, Linux is always a good alternative. You can use Inkscape for Coral Draw, Gimp for Photoshop (I started using Krita recently), Libra office for microsoft office and more. You can install those same programs in windows too if you want to check them out. Or there is always wine or crossover where you can run windows programs inside of Linux. check out Linux mint xfce. It is lightweight and good for older computers

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.