sirhawkeye64

Estimable
May 28, 2015
Does anyone know if the Displayport to HDMI adapater that MIcrosoft has for the Surface Pro 3 is any different than a standard Mini Displayport adapater cable? Sometimes, I have seen where the OEM version has a clip or something else to help hold the adapater in the port.

I have noticed (while using a generic branded adapater from PNY) that the connector is just generally loose on the tablet end since the tablet's body (the side) is at an angle so the connector never really can fit snug against the tablet's body.

Any ideas? Because if the MS adapater isn't any different than a generic adapater, then I'll just get another generic adapter (mine just fatigued from a few years of use).

Solution
They should be the same. Pretty much all these cables are the same--there is a reason they follow industry standards, as far as connectors go. Now, the MS one might be of a higher build quality, which would explain the more snug fit. Variations will happen when you use generics. Far as I'm concerned though, as long as it works, it can wiggle and be as loose as it wants to.
They should be the same. Pretty much all these cables are the same--there is a reason they follow industry standards, as far as connectors go. Now, the MS one might be of a higher build quality, which would explain the more snug fit. Variations will happen when you use generics. Far as I'm concerned though, as long as it works, it can wiggle and be as loose as it wants to.

Solution

sirhawkeye64

Estimable
May 28, 2015
Thanks for the replies. Found out it was the cable (the connector going in to the DP port was bad) so all is well. I just got another inexpensive adapter (don't feel like paying $40 for the MS one yet, unless these keep breaking. But the one I was using was a few years old anyway and has been used almost daily so that was to be expected I guess.