MSFT, Sony Release XBL and PSN Usage Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
In the mean time, which do you think offers a better service?

...and could the responses please come from people who actually use both services regularly rather than 'mine is better !!!one111two!' blind jingoism...

;)

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I use both. I believe that XBL is the better service and for me, it is definitely faster. I have to say tho, that I haven't used PSN as much as XBL, but the whole XBL is much smoother and better designed. I would be interested in those PSN #'s as well to see how many people are ACTUALLY using it. The better one gets, the better it is for us because then in turn, the other will get better as well.

carlhenry

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
i wont be surprised if the psn outmatches the xbox live. its free, so if you have a ps3, why the hell wont you use it?

but lemme say who's happier? psn or live? i definitely say its live because of the monthly subscription fee.

oh, and i too would like to compare the quality of service from both. free = terrible service? monthly subscription = HQ service?

it would suck if psn has the better service lol.

G

"In the mean time, which do you think offers a better service?"

Obviously a conversation starter. I have and use both; XBL performs lags from time to time, but not nearly as much as PSN, and XBL has a much nicer interface. You have to pay for XBL, so if $50 per year is too expensive (the price of 1 new game) then you'll want to use PSN. Enough said.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I paid 27.99 for my last 1 year XBL card. There are some on buy.com right now for $35. So no one should be quoting the $50 figure. That's only if you're stupid and gave msft your CC number.

G

Sony are comparing their free PSN with Microsofts paid for Gold memebrship. Surely a better comparison would be PSN subscriber numbers against ALL Xbox Live subscribers (Gold and the free Silver membership).

I have a 360, PS3 and a Wii... I prefer XBox Live personally but thats jsut a personal preference.

BluntObjection

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Ehh...Seems pretty obvious that PSN would have more subscribers. Not only is it free. But the PSP and the PS3 both use the service. Two devices to one... :/

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
I never understood why people pay for something that is ENTIRELY FREE on a PC. It should be free on the 360. End of story.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Tedders[/nom]I use both. I believe that XBL is the better service and for me, it is definitely faster. I have to say tho, that I haven't used PSN as much as XBL, but the whole XBL is much smoother and better designed. I would be interested in those PSN #'s as well to see how many people are ACTUALLY using it. The better one gets, the better it is for us because then in turn, the other will get better as well.[/citation]

The problem with PSN is that it's up to the developers to create the online experience. Some games are just fine, others blow.

And Home isn't for me. I know some people dig it but I was out the second I had to wait in a virtual line.

Definetly prefer XBL but you pay for what you get right?

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
i don't play much online... only street fighter 4. I would use xbox live maybe if I didn't have a ps3, and I played it all day. But i'm not going to pay a monthlee fee if I will not use it much.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I play Xbox online, and PSN online and this is how i see it.

The playstation store is superiour to any of the marketplace components of Xbox Live. Not only are prices shown in real money which helps to decide how much something is actually worth but the look, feel and responsiveness of the UI is much better and easier to use.
Content purchased from PSN also has the least restricitve licencing on those products, wheras XBL licencing is restrictive beyond logical reason.
If Sony would only ship the console with a headset there would be little or no diffrence with the friends/chat systems of the 2 consoles, from what i have used however there isnt much diffrence between the two, just that you have to buy a headset for the PS3.
As for online, well it really depends on what your friends have. If all your friends have got Xbox, and you just play with randomers on your PS3, ofcourse you will enjoy your Xbox more. But to be frank the differnces are minute if any, i got some friends on Xbox, we have good fun, and ditto for the ps3.
Once you get over your Sony/Microsft fanboyisms and realise all you really want to do is play kickass games you quickly realise it makes sod all differnece wether your on XBL or PSN. The biggest difference is the cost.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I used to use both XBL and PSN, but when the NXE came out I pretty much quit using my 360.
I love the XMB on the PSN. I am used to it from back when I first got my PSP and Sony has stuck with it and it is easy to find the things you are looking for. On the NXE it is so cluttered with ads it ridiculous. It takes time to load each menu because it has to pull down all the pictures. Its like they made it for people who aren't old enough to read. And so many menus and things are hidden so the casual user can't find them. I end up Googling where things are located in the NXE and not to my surprise many other are looking for the same things.
As far as paying for service goes. I don't play on XBL anymore. It was just never worth it. Today this day I still cannot see a difference in how games play online on PSN compared to XBL. I am able to talk to people on both systems (which I generally just end up muting) and I can play against people on both systems. If I am missing something then it doesn't really matter to me.

billin30

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I don't really care which is better, I just want some cross platform play for my FPS games, or any game for that matter. Then we can solve the great debate over sticks vs. mouse and keyboard. I like gaming on my computer because of the better graphics and M&K. My buddies like there consoles, but even if we play the same games, we cant play together. Especially MW2, where it all uses the same stupid IW.net anyway. If I gotta play online like a consoler, I might as well get to play against some.

Status
Not open for further replies.