MSI Discusses Plans For Computex 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
The Menu bar is no longer visible in Windows 7 (might have been the same with Vista - I was able to successfully avoid it altogether).
However, pressing the ALT key will display the File/Edit/View/Tools/Help menu-bar (same as it ever was).

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
1) The Menu bar is no longer visible in Windows 7 (might have been the same with Vista - I was able to successfully avoid it altogether).
However, pressing the ALT key will display the File/Edit/View/Tools/Help menu-bar (same as it ever was).

2) Something about the Application Wizard that everyone should know: Add/Remove programs is now "Applications and Features" - and it can be accessed via run => appwiz.cpl -- When the Explorer.exe is in affliction and does not load, you may still access the Application Wizard via Task Manager to uninstall problematic applications or patches.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
1. right-click taskbar>properties> check "use small icons" and change Taskbar Buttons pull-down menu to "never combine" or "combine when full"

3. in context menu on upper right-hand corner of control panel window, change "category" to "small icons" or "large icons". This organizes this much better. printers are under "devices and printer" (which is also on the start menu).

4. with control panel not set to category view, add/remove programs is "programs and features"

pollom

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Windows Home Premium does not support XP Mode, for that they need Ultimate.
No for that you need professional or ultimate, the power options still existing but you need to enter to mobility center, the power options for w7 are much better than the options for windows vi.

pollom

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
prospect of Windows 7 offering XP emulation, only for their hopes dashed because Windows Home Premium does not support XP Mode, for that they need Ultimate.
for windows xp mode you need professional or ultimate, the power options still existing but you need to enter to mobility center, the power options for w7 are much better than the options for windows vi.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I'm confused as to why M$ removed DreamScenes/DreamScapes as that was one of the "ooh-ahh-factor" things M$ touted before Vista came out. Maybe M$ screwed StarDock Corp (and the others working on DreamS for M$) like they have with so many partners.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I don't know anyone who needs XP emulation a lot of the readers here have found their games and apps work just fine on Windows 7 and if it doesn't you can Google for a work around. If it's an old piece of hardware that won't work under Windows 7 then it's most likely some cheap piece of junk made a company that ceased trading when the .com bubble burst, if that's the case don't be cheap skate and get it replaced!

For the record you don't need Windows 7 Ultimate for XP emulation you need Windows 7 Professional which is a lot cheaper.

Titanius

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
1. Never used it, don't miss it.
2. You have to be kidding me right? Seriously? The "glowing" effect? ...
3. In Control Panel, change "View by:" to Large icons. I never liked that category view in XP and Vista, nor 7.
4. Agreed.
5. Agreed.
6. Normal people use Outlook (you know, Office Outlook).
7. Correction, you need at least Windows 7 Professional to have XP Mode.
8. Blah.
9. ...

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
THEY TOOK AWAY MY FREAKING MEDIA PLAYER TOOL BAR!

That's one of the main reasons I've stuck with media player and its quirks. Now that it's gone? I'm not a happy camper.

G

Interesting list. Just so you know, XP Mode is available in Win 7 Professional + Ultimate. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS