Solved! MSI GE-72VR Apache Pro won’t boot

Nov 23, 2019
Hey guys,
My laptop was working fine a couple of days ago. No issues at all. Then this evening when i tried to turn it on, it won’t boot at all. No MSI logo on the screen, no sound from the HDD. However the power indicator on the power button did lit up and thats about it. So far i have;
  1. Removed the battery and the power brick, press the power button for more 30 seconds and tried to turn it on still same issue.
  2. Unplugged the cmos battery for 2 minutes. Restart. Still failed.
  3. Change RAM slot. Nope.
  4. Remove HDD. Nothing.
  5. Remove SSD. Still no sign of life.
All yield the same result. Blue led on the power button and that's it. However on some occasions I can hear the fan turned but still nothing on the screen. Do note that the LED indicator won't turn on if I try to power it on without the power brick. I'm all out of ideas. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
If you are getting any internal sounds, it may well be on and just not seen on the display.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the...
If you are getting any internal sounds, it may well be on and just not seen on the display.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Solution