Question MSI GE66 Raider - Can't decide if the upgraded model is worth it

May 14, 2020
Hello, I'm currently in the market for a new gaming laptop with the possibility of doing some light cad and drafting work. I've been leaning towards the new MSI GE66 Raider but can't decide on which model to go with. I'll just list the main differences rather than all the specs.

For $1800 I could get the base model with a 240hz screen, 16gb RAM, RTX 2070, and 500gb nvme ssd memory.

The second option is to go one model up which is $2700 and comes with a 300hz screen, 32gb RAM, RTX 2080 Super Max Q, and 1tb of nvme memory.

I haven't bought a new computer in at least 8 years so I'm a little out of date with the new tech. I'm only just learning about NVME's and these new screen speeds. And I don't think I'm a fan of the Max Q technology but at the same time, the more future proof the better. Is the extra $900 worth the upgrades now rather than later?

I also plan on buying a 1tb Samsung 970 Evo nvme to put in the main slot and move whatever comes with them to the second slot, but that's not super relevant to the choice I guess.

Thank you!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sadelephant Laptop General Discussion 2
aquaa Laptop General Discussion 1
G Laptop General Discussion 0
Truth21 Laptop General Discussion 0
M Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 3
princevegeta Laptop General Discussion 0
fistinair Laptop General Discussion 0
M Laptop General Discussion 2
A Laptop General Discussion 1