MSI Ghost gs60 Temperature High

BrandonKarl

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Hello everyone, I was just hoping someone could give me some insight into if i have an issue or not with my laptop (MSI Ghost gs60). When idle, its running at about 50 degrees C and only under some light browser games with Skype also running it jumps to around 70 degrees C and sometimes over. I was wondering if this is normal, if it would have any real long term effect on the machine or how to help reduce the temperature. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
From what I've read it shouldn't jump to 70 degrees for just Skype and light browser games.

You should expect that type of temperature running a simple game via Steam.

For more intensive games like Crysis or Bioshock Infinite, it should run to about 80-85C, which isn't necessarily a good thing, but it's expected. I'd read up on how to change settings in your BIOS, I've heard that it makes a ~5 degree C change. Additionally, people have applied thermal paste and used a laptop cooler.

(http://forum.notebookreview.com/search.php?searchid=6706170&pp=&page=2) - This is a thread for Ghost GS60 owner's, which should help give you some insight.

There shouldn't be any long-term effects of keeping your laptop at 70 degrees C, but I'm...
From what I've read it shouldn't jump to 70 degrees for just Skype and light browser games.

You should expect that type of temperature running a simple game via Steam.

For more intensive games like Crysis or Bioshock Infinite, it should run to about 80-85C, which isn't necessarily a good thing, but it's expected. I'd read up on how to change settings in your BIOS, I've heard that it makes a ~5 degree C change. Additionally, people have applied thermal paste and used a laptop cooler.

(http://forum.notebookreview.com/search.php?searchid=6706170&pp=&page=2) - This is a thread for Ghost GS60 owner's, which should help give you some insight.

There shouldn't be any long-term effects of keeping your laptop at 70 degrees C, but I'm worried that more intensive games or tasks could exponentially increase the temperature. I'd suggest stress testing your laptop with more GPU/CPU-intensive programs to see if this will be a problem.

Solution

BrandonKarl

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

I think my computer may have actually been on a high performance mode in that situation, Right now on power saver it's sitting around 54C doing those same tasks. do you think this is a more reasonable temperature? Also thanks for all the info!