Jun 12, 2019
I have a 1050TI, 8GB ram, i7 7700k and I am getting really bad performance for some reason. I used to be able to play far cry 5 on default settings with only minimal lag when going into new areas and such like that, but now almost every time i turn around, i get frame tearing and a lot of fps drops, sometimes the sound sputters, too. Same with Assassin's creed: odyssey, I used to be able to run it really well. Now not so much. Haven't changed any settings, kept all my drivers and such up to date, fans are never blocked or anything, but it does seem to get pretty warm sometimes. Any suggestions? Did i get a lemon of a pc?

Solution
This may sound like a very basic question, but when was the last time you shut it down for a while? Or even just rebooted (turned off and back on)?

So many leave them on all the time, or just put in sleep/hibernate, and that just won't cut it. They do need to be turned off, or at minimum rebooted, to gain back the resources used up during any use. Just closing a program won't do that, and just minimizing one won't do any good.

Additionally anything you do on the device, if not cleared up/out regularly will take up resources. Browsers are a great way to waste space and resources, if you don't clear them up.

On top of all that, I would suggest monitoring the temps, to see how hot it is actually getting and what it is that is putting...
This may sound like a very basic question, but when was the last time you shut it down for a while? Or even just rebooted (turned off and back on)?

So many leave them on all the time, or just put in sleep/hibernate, and that just won't cut it. They do need to be turned off, or at minimum rebooted, to gain back the resources used up during any use. Just closing a program won't do that, and just minimizing one won't do any good.

Additionally anything you do on the device, if not cleared up/out regularly will take up resources. Browsers are a great way to waste space and resources, if you don't clear them up.

On top of all that, I would suggest monitoring the temps, to see how hot it is actually getting and what it is that is putting out the heat. You may need to change the thermal paste.

Solution
Jun 12, 2019

On top of all that, I would suggest monitoring the temps, to see how hot it is actually getting and what it is that is putting out the heat. You may need to change the thermal paste.
I shut it down every night. And when I'm planning on playing a game I dont even open any browsers. GPU is running at a steady 48c, CPU is fluctuating between 74-85c. Any other suggestions on why it would be running like this? The laptop is barely a year old.