Dec 17, 2020
Hey everyone,

My Laptop (MSI GS65 Stealth 8SE) Specs:

i7 - 8750H
RTX 2060
16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz (1x16GB)
512GB NVMe SSD

I bought this laptop in January 2020 and have been using it without any problem whatsoever, until I started gaming on it and have been having a very bad time gaming. I seldom play games so I never noticed the problem, even though I play lighter titles like Valorant, CS:GO, GTA 5 (exceptional, as not a lighter game) etc.. I know as a matter of fact that a Desktop with the same/similar specs as mine will perform way much better, so I thought that this technically is the capacity of my machine. But I realized it was much worse when I found out that my friend who has a Lenovo Yoga C940 with i7-9750H & GTX 1650 is able to get more than 120 FPS in Valorant at max settings. Unfortunately I'm not able to get constant 50+ FPS in Valorant (in-game) but in the main screen I get 100+ FPS whatever the settings maybe, every time I game, there are a lot of stutters and the FPS drops to ~ 30 frequently. I have tried this with and without undervolt, without an undervolt my laptop races to 95c and drops the clockspeed of both my CPU and GPU significantly after sometime, the CPU will run at ~3.0 GHz and GPU drops by a couple of hundred MHz and still run 95c on the CPU and ~85c on the GPU. With an undervolt of -144.5 mV (offset) on both core & cache and locked 3.0 GHz and with a custom curve on GPU, Mem clock locked @ 6500MHz and ~1200 MHz on the core (max), still there has been not much improvement apart from the temperatures which has improved significantly. GTA V is much worse at med-high settings and low population density I get 45+ FPS and drops at times to ~30 FPS and at easy to render scenarios I get ~60 FPS. A couple of days back I used DDU to uninstall the graphics drivers of both Intel and NVIDIA (which was up to date) and installed the Manufacture Provided Drivers from MSI's Website for my laptop and yet no noticeable improvement with or without an undervolt.

I've tried various undervolt settings and found -144.5 mV (offset) is much stable for my laptop, better performing than other values and produces less heat as possible. I've some other values for undervolt as well that tend to produce R20 score of 2830 as the highest and usually hits a score around 2790, but doesn't have any improvement in games and generates a lot of heat, so I don't use those values for my undervolt. Especially in Fornite I don't even get 45+ FPS and stutters a lot in lowest settings with or without DLSS (Performance, Quality,..) (Just tried, xD) and undervolt. I understand that any decently specced PC for an office environment can run CS:GO at 30 FPS at least in min settings, but mine is worse comparatively I get the bare minimum decent of ~60 FPS or so for a FPS title for such a good gaming laptop as I consider it to be. I tested NFS Payback for a while and it alone is able to bring the CPU utilization to 100% and drops to 95% at times in lower demanding scenes, but the graphics card sits at a decent percentage of utilization around 30%-50%, yet I don't get anything more than 45+ FPS unless I don't drive in-game and rest at a deserted area . I'm sure that the Dedicated RTX 2060 is being used for all the games and not the iGPU by the led indicator turning amber, as well as checking in Afterburner Overlay, and in Task Manager as well . I've also fiddled with NVIDIA Control Panel to force Dedicated graphics card to be used for games.

There is no background apps running, no unnecessary software (bloatware), no viruses,etc. and my CPU and GPU utilization never crosses over 60% (together) in the games I play, in Valorant they both sit at 30%-40% on utilization. The BIOS version and Firmware version is up-to-date. (OS Version: Windows 10 - 20H2)

P.S: I haven't re-installed a fresh copy of Windows, I'm using the OS (Windows 10 (Home)) that came with the laptop.

I understand that running on single channel impacts a lot, but I don't think it would impact this drastically to a state where it's not even playable!!

(NOTE: I play all my games with the charger plugged in at all times and the fans in Cooler Boost so as not to Thermal Throttle.)

If anybody has any suggestions, solutions, or any help of any sort would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dec 21, 2020
Hi
Dude I've the same exact laptop with the same problem as yours, I tried everything to fix it but nothing worked, but the thing is, I'm not using the laptops original charger, what I'm using now is a razer blade 165W, 8.3A charger while the original charger is 230W, 11.8A.
Was your laptop factory new or second hand?
Are you using the original ac charger?

Dec 17, 2020
Hi
Dude I've the same exact laptop with the same problem as yours, I tried everything to fix it but nothing worked, but the thing is, I'm not using the laptops original charger, what I'm using now is a razer blade 165W, 8.3A charger while the original charger is 230W, 11.8A.
Was your laptop factory new or second hand?
Are you using the original ac charger?

Hey, sorry for the delay (Time Zones)!!
and Thanks a lot for the reply,

I bought this laptop Brand new and I am using the Original AC Charger.