MSi Gs70 heating issues

LandonWatson1

Estimable
May 11, 2014
I have an msi gs70 pro, and during gaming the gpu can heat up to 93 degrees. The rest of the machine stay below 80, but even with an external fan it can get above 85. Naturally if I turn the quality down it heats up less, but what is a safe temperature for it to operate at? do I run the risk of overheating? its a gtx 870m

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
that's just a common theme with single fan gaming laptops. I believe the GT version runs a little cooler but still those temps are normal. the CPU and gpu share the same cooling solution so when one gets warm the other raises slightly as well. if you want a cooler running laptop only the Asus g750 can provide that. my gpu temps max w00% gpu around 75c, normally runs around 80% on games at 60-75c.

if yours is the ghost and you do have dual fans, that heating ussue is due to the thinness of the laptop and inability to really push enough air through.

laptops are all about tradeoffs. which when purchasing, you need to look into your options and then decide which one offers the pros and cons your willing to 'deal' with

LandonWatson1

Estimable
May 11, 2014

Yah, I get that. gS70= stealth, s for stealth, should I be concerned about the gpu getting 93 degrees C?

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I believe for both the intel i7 4700 and the gtx 870m thermal maximums are around 100c. And you will reach thermal throttling around that point. But these chips are made for gaming laptops and as such made for the heat they generate. I really wanted the pro as dual fans, 5lbs, slim light. But I cant handle heat. I then was looking into the gt70 dominator pro since its larger and has less heat and the chasis doesn't heat up as quick. For $2000 I would've gotten 4800 880m and 512gb ssd. But after reading both positive and negative reviews on it, heat was still there and an issue. Less heat but louder fan noise. So I opted for the asus g750. For $2000 I only got a 4700 and 870m, but fan noise is minimal, and heating temps are extraordinary low for what its in it. But as long as its under 100's, I wouldn't be worried. If its gets above 100c and you don't experience any thermal throttling, id be worried then. But high temps, loud fan noise, and warm laptop itself is just the cons of the ghost series. A cooling pad would be a help while your at home and such. But as far as lowering temps, I don't think you'll even notice a 1c temp drop. But would save your lap, plus get it up and off desk/lap and increase airflow

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Oh, and as far as the gs being stealth. I was aware but just before your thread read a ge70 post, with same issue. So wasn't sure if it was double post, or what was up, confused me a little.