MSI GS70 Stealth Pro owners lounge

andrewjeon9

Estimable
May 25, 2014
Hi guys. Do any of you own a Msi gs70 stealth pro? If you do, could you write a review on it including battery life?

I would really appreciate it if you guys would respond to my thread.
Thank you

jayson3d

Estimable
Apr 6, 2015
I will write a more in-depth review at a later date. So busy with work and I am new to PC Laptops and for that matter all PC as I have been a Mac guy since the early 90's.
My MSI GS70 077, comes equipped with 128 Gig ssd and 1TB HD and a GTX 970m Nvidia graphics....2.5 i7 gen 4 intel processor
What is bothering me is basic games like World of Warcraft are only showing 30 frames with max settings, up to 100 fps when inside a building...This is not the performance I thought it is capable of. I should be gettting over 100 on Ultra with this game, no?

I have made sure the GPU is being used instead of just the integrated graphics, so it is not that. I have played with all variations of settings to improve performance on Ultra, with no success. I've spent countless hours Google-ing the subject of the problems and duplicating the fix with no success.
this is my experience so far.

OhhBrandonOhh

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015

Have you tried disabling vertical sync?

jayson3d

Estimable
Apr 6, 2015
http://img.techpowerup.org/150413/nvidia_20150413_163740.png

This is an image of my Nvidia inspector.

Vertical sync was disabled....

I have since learned that my external monitor:
Asus VS247H-P
connected with HDMI ONLY
allows up to 60FPs at 1920x1080 with a 2ms refresh rate.

But even without the external monitor (using laptop monitor) the FPS was performing similarly.

This is very playable but not super smooth for WoW. The laptop does get very hot sitting on a wooden desk and I'm deciding on the best INEXPENSIVE option to try and keep it cooler. The fans are full blast and a bit noisy even playing World of Warcraft on Ultra / High. I was under the impression that a GTX970M with the 4th Gen processor would eat this game up with little effort. Seems that is not the case.

I did try and delete the Wow Nvidia settings for the driver and just TODAY updated to the newest Nvida driver.

One thing I must mention that was a bit noobish on my part is that I a Windows 8 update (recent one) did increase performance a small amount and I had missed the fact I had not updated my system in a couple weeks....so my advice is to check the basics like that first :)

Thanks for the answer but I really did try moving every setting around including Vert sync to see check the difference.

jayson3d

Estimable
Apr 6, 2015
I got it running up to 60-70 fps now but not in high traffic area. I think it just takes alot of figuring out and tweaking settings until it works.

1) I downloaded and use the latest Nvidia Driver
2) Using the Nvidia Control Panel to tweek settings
3) I use the MSI Dragon Gaming Center app that is included and I use the Nvidia Gforce Experience to Optimze... I found out that it does not do the correct settings, You need to use CMAA for anti aliasing not FXAA or anything else. Not sure if this is correct but it works better for me.
3) keep the laptop cool as possible will also stop it from throttling down from overheating on a desk, I'm looking into a budget laptop cooler matt, the Coolermaster X3 looks like a good choice, havn't bought it yet but I will be soon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0079T2KHG/ref=ox_sc_a...

Last but not least, Youtube has a few solutions for other games and they tell you what settings to use.
Games like Arche Age don't even have settings and end up running off the INTEGRATED graphics