MonnieMarco

Estimable
Jul 13, 2014
Hello I have recently purchased a MSI GT70-Dominator and I am having troubles getting the mic to pick up sound. I have contacted MSI Support and they recommended I increase the Mic levels and re-install the drivers (both of these I had already done before hand). If anyone knows a way to solve this problem please help. I know the mic isn't completely broken because when it is tapped on it has some sound response.

Solution
Hello I recently purchased a GT70 2PC running Windows 8.1 and was experiencing similar issues regarding low mic input volume. I scoured the internet for possible solutions including uninstalling drivers then reinstalling them, the works. The good news is I may have found a possible solution. All of the threads I have read spoke of people modifying the mic input volume through the Realtek software but the issue may actually be on the Windows side of things. Check your mic gain under Control Panel => Sound => Recording => Select Microphone and configure. Under "Levels" tab, check and see what level your mic gain is set to. If it is low, adjust accordingly and apply changes. I noticed Windows, or some other application, would lower...

Kryptonous

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014
I have/had completely the same problem (Using MSI GE60, but that one's almost the same).
When I used a headset, its microphone worked perfectly though.

Last time, I was configuring Skype and suddenly the microphone did work. I thought it was webcam-related then (the mic only works when the webcam is on) but then I called someone without the webcam and it worked too. I didn't get to try other applications after that (as I don't have that laptop right now with me) but I'll try to do that asap and let you know something.

Try setting up skype (GE70 uses W8.1, try not using the installed version of skype but download the desktop version of it) and see if it works. Otherwise, let me know something and I'll dig deeper into it.

1_bad_gorsuch

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014
Hello I recently purchased a GT70 2PC running Windows 8.1 and was experiencing similar issues regarding low mic input volume. I scoured the internet for possible solutions including uninstalling drivers then reinstalling them, the works. The good news is I may have found a possible solution. All of the threads I have read spoke of people modifying the mic input volume through the Realtek software but the issue may actually be on the Windows side of things. Check your mic gain under Control Panel => Sound => Recording => Select Microphone and configure. Under "Levels" tab, check and see what level your mic gain is set to. If it is low, adjust accordingly and apply changes. I noticed Windows, or some other application, would lower this gain, not Realtek's, thus creating my low mic problem. After adjusting the aforementioned gain, my mic works wonderfully =P. I hope this helps!!

Solution